High Speed Internet WiFi Tuning Question
Hablin

High Speed Interent is the fastest I can get where I am at.  A lot slower than cable that I was used to.  I have kids that play xbox live or stream netflix while I am trying to play on my computer, but I lag so much.  Sometimes I lag worst than they do, and I am hardwired in and they use the WiFi.  So I am wondering if there are settings so I can allow more bandwidth to my computer and less to the WiFi so that I will get the speed and they won't.

THanks

0 Likes
Re: High Speed Internet WiFi Tuning Question
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sure, it is the feature called QoS.

To find out if you can (and how you) setup QoS.

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
Re: High Speed Internet WiFi Tuning Question
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You will usually need a router with "Smart QoS" or highly configurable QoS settings to be able to accomplish this. Alternatively, throwing more bandwidth at the problem helps too.

To cut down on the lag, traffic will have to be shaped on both the download and Upload. If you are dealing with a 1Mbps connection or less and have to have that handle multiple gamers online, it is already getting crushed before the streaming traffic. Streaming and gaming at the same time should be allowed a minimum of 5Mbps.

0 Likes