High Speed Internet remains very slow even after installing new modem/router
eliuri
Enthusiast - Level 1

I installed the D-Link DSL 2750B   Modem/Router sent to me by Verizon, because Tech Support was sure that my Westell modem was the cause of precipitous slow down in DSL internet speed.

Internet speed tests usually timeout..When they dont timepit, the uplaod speed is negligible. Sites load very slowly..

The issue began when my phone went dead 2 weeks ago. Verizon restored the dial tone on phone. The phone issue was outside my building and verizon reapaired it from there..The connection between DSL slowdown and my modem here eludes me, but I did change modems as Verizon insisted.

Another Tech Support said a line test showed an "unstable connection"

Needless to say, the now  very slow DSL High Speed Internet continues even after this change in modems...Possibly even worse now then before..

What do I do next?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: High Speed Internet remains very slow even after installing new modem/router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So the two ways people have found to tap into the secret 5Mbps tier:

1: Stick to the DSL until Verizon absolutely forces you to the FiOS package (may take lots of waiting).

2: Order FiOS inquiring about the 5Mbps package, and only the 5Mbps package. (May take lots of patience and careful wording).

The plan isn't too well known to the reps on the phone, and it is not offered at all online, so #2 might be a bit difficult to get.

FiOS to many of us is a blessing if it's available. I'm still stuck with DSL because FiOS stopped about 500ft away from my home, although I've been waiting for it the past 10 years.

Since the speed on your modem is staying the same, it is likely due to localized congestion at this point rather than your circuit. This is a good thing as it means the previous tech did a full set of repairs on your line.

View solution in original post

Re: High Speed Internet remains very slow even after installing new modem/router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the model of your old Westell modem? Could you connect that up and supply the modem Transceiver Statistics to us?

0 Likes
eliuri
Enthusiast - Level 1

might there be  a way i can give u those statisitcs using the mode/router currently installed , which is D-L:ink.

it does seem to have fairly detailed logs

i never actually was able to find model number of that Westell anyhow..

would take much to re-install the Westell now since id have to hook it up to the old Linksys router.

iDSL speed is about the same with either modem

-eli

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

WIth the older Westell modems, if it's a Westell 2200, Westell 6100, or Westell 7500, one of the two links should work to get to the page we need:

http://192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp

http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm

For the D-Link modems, see if you can find information anywhere in the modem with the following terms: Attenuation, SN Margin, Margin, Power, ADSL Mode, G.DMT, ADSL2+, Interleaved, FastPath, Speed. Many have tried to find these statistics on a D-Link but with little luck.

0 Likes
eliuri
Enthusiast - Level 1

Youre correct, Smith. I do not see such data on the D-Link. Was there on Westell but diddnt know what it meant..

Anyhow, to update situation, Verizon tech did come a few days ago n found busted wire a block or two away and (supposedly) fixed that. Its a bit faster now but upload speed is still way below what it should be. Perhaps was always thus

Download speed: ~2.85 mps

Upload varies between 0 20--.70  when it really should be .90 mps

not sure if that Westell data would be usueful for this now. might there be other way to improve upload speed..without making 100 calls to india, that is

Ty btw for trying to help

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The upload speed hitting 0.70Mbps is about where it'll be. For it to hit 0.9Mbps you'd need to be on a 10-15Mbps provisioning profile. Anything from 3Mbps to 7.1Mbps will give you 768kbps.

0 Likes
eliuri
Enthusiast - Level 1

0.7 mps uplaod is perfectly fine for me now....even 0.5..but it often ges down as low as 0.2 ..even after they "fixed" the busted wire outside

But...right now, both the verizon and att speedtests r returnnig error readings..Verizon speedtest often times out

ATT speedtest often enuf has reading: about "latency test error"

When those r going on, i notice interent speed way too slow ..even after both verizon "fixes"..the change of modem..to d-link as directed by the techs in iindia..and the fixing of that outsode wire as perforemd by verizon techs here (which took over a week n four techs )

I did see many Verizon FIos trucks  roaming about  here a few days ago...wonder if theyre tryingfto tell me something?

anyhow, any fursther suggestions, other than re-installing the Westell n the Liknksys router and posting those statisitcs readings?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check to see if the D-Link shows your connection speed (probably at 3360kbps/864kbps) and monitor that value throughout the day. When the Internet slows down, check to see if that speed varies. If it does not then what you're likely coming across at this point is congestion on the DSL network. If the speed values change, your line is still having some stability problems and needs to be repaired.

If FiOS is in your area, expect Verizon to be extremely difficult to work with going forward. You might have to ask them about the secret, unadvertised 5Mbps plan for DSL customers if that's what it comes down to.

0 Likes
eliuri
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes Smith.. The D-Link shows consistently 3.4mb/s download and 0.9 mb/s upload reagrdless of actual speed and/or speedtests

And Yes!!! FIOS has come to my area with a vengeance...I have no idea how to tap into that secret 5 mb/sec Verizon plan

I feel ive sort of earned it after those three weeks of really slow dsl due to busted outside wire and my long discourses with many wonderful technicians in India about wires a few blocks from my house

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So the two ways people have found to tap into the secret 5Mbps tier:

1: Stick to the DSL until Verizon absolutely forces you to the FiOS package (may take lots of waiting).

2: Order FiOS inquiring about the 5Mbps package, and only the 5Mbps package. (May take lots of patience and careful wording).

The plan isn't too well known to the reps on the phone, and it is not offered at all online, so #2 might be a bit difficult to get.

FiOS to many of us is a blessing if it's available. I'm still stuck with DSL because FiOS stopped about 500ft away from my home, although I've been waiting for it the past 10 years.

Since the speed on your modem is staying the same, it is likely due to localized congestion at this point rather than your circuit. This is a good thing as it means the previous tech did a full set of repairs on your line.