High Wifi Latency/Jitter with only 1-user
QualityIsDead
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since getting my new Quantum Gateway Router with 75/75 plan, I have been noticing a lot of video buffering. A lot of the adaptive bitrate videos stream at LOW bit rates showing something is not right (despite generally good speed test results). But a simple ping shows that I am experiencing a lot of jitter / latency. Here is a summary of my situation:

• 75Mbps / 75 Mbps plan
  • Pings to both router and internet show high latency (sometimes loss) that occur every 10-seconds. 
  • Ping issue does NOT occur on wired ethernet connection (pings to router ~0.5ms...internet pings around 20ms)
  • Issue DOES occur for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs
  • My WLAN has about 15 wireless devices. But I temporarily changed my SSID name and the problem STILL occurs with just my 1 laptop.

Below is a picture of simulataneous pings going to my Fios Router (192.168.1.1) and Google's Public DNS server (8.8.8.8). As you can see, they both exhibit high latencies at the same time (the pings were slightly off-set). Ideally, it appears I should be getting about 3ms latency of pings to router and 20ms pings to the internet. But every ~10s, the latency is brutal.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear it. It seems like it is a router issue since this issue happens by simply pinging the router. I've tried rebooting it...but to no avail.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: High Wifi Latency/Jitter with only 1-user
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does it happen with more than 1 device?

While you were monitoging with app, did you see any other SSIDs popping up on your channel? It possible you are getting intermittent interference.

The app can not rule out other non wifi interference.

View solution in original post

QualityIsDead
Enthusiast - Level 1

I started a timer the moment the first high-latency burst occurred. Sure enough, the high latency was observed at 10s, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s (like clockwork). The high latency duration vary (typically about 1-2s) seemed variable but it always started on 10s intervals.

0 Likes
QualityIsDead
Enthusiast - Level 1

Tech-support just had me reset to factory defaults. Still occurs. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its possible you have some sort of wifi interference.

Have you tried changing channels?

If you have an android device, download anapp called wifi analyzer.

Will show you other routers that have wifi and recommend the best channel for your network.

0 Likes
QualityIsDead
Enthusiast - Level 1

@CRobGauth. Thanks for the cool app tip (I never used it). But even after changing channels based on the app's Channel Rating, it didn't resolve the issue 😞

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does it happen with more than 1 device?

While you were monitoging with app, did you see any other SSIDs popping up on your channel? It possible you are getting intermittent interference.

The app can not rule out other non wifi interference.

QualityIsDead
Enthusiast - Level 1

I should have thought of that. It does appear to be an issue with my laptop. Probably some work anti-virus issue. I'll look into it some more with my IT department. I'll update this thread once I get more details. For now, I'll accept this as a solution. Thanks! 

0 Likes