Home Network Protection not working
T-Bomb

I am trying to set up parental controls through the FiOS app.  I am unable to activate HNP on my account.  I have a G-1100 router.  On the app, I get a message that says "HNP cannot be activated on your account".  I'm seeing several users on this forum that have had the exact same issue, months ago.  Here's what I've gone through so far - I have spent collectively 4 hours on chat and on the phone with Verizon trying to resolve the below issue to no avail.

1.  1 hour chat session with a verizon rep - had me factory reset the router, delete the app, re-install and try again.  None worked.  The rep said there must be some issue on their end and it needed to be escalated.  Gave me a bogus e-mail to send an escalation request to, said it was a problem with the app (although I had tried multiple devices).  Mail bounced back as undeliverable.

2.  1 hour call with a very knowledgeable sounding tech who ordered me a replacement G-1100 router after I went through telling him about all of the steps I had previously completed.  Did another factory reset to no avail.

3.  New router arrives.  I set up my new router, and I still have the issue.  Spent 2 hours on the phone, first with another reasonably smart tech who was more than willing to talk my ear off about technology - eventually after some more factory resets (no dice), offers to connect us both to another department who can help.  Ends up transferring me and I get dumped back into the tech support queue and get another tech in the same group.  I then have to re-tell my entire story to this guy, who then transfers me to McAfee (another company).  The McAfee guy I get tells me he has to transfer me to another department within his company because he can't help me - and after another 15 minutes on hold, I give up.

4.  Today, one week later, my issue persists.  I tried calling just now, only to be connected after 15 minutes to an individual in an offshore location who could not hear me, which brings me to this forum.

Is there anyone that can offer any advice on how to get the right person in verizon to actually resolve this issue?  If a verizon ambassador is reading this, can you escalate this?  

I've been a Verizon FiOS customer for 7 years.  I hate Comcast, but at this point, if this doesn't get resolved, I'm going to jump ship.  Since September, my bill got jacked up because all of my promotions from the past 2 years all expired.  The only way I was able could get my bill down was to restructure my whole plan and then reduce my TV service.  Along the way, I signed up for the free trial of YouTube TV through Verizon, only to not be able to activate it for another week due to a technical issue.  At least that one got fixed.  This issue, however, could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.  Verizon's customer service is so absolutely abysmal and clearly Verizon does not care one bit about retaining customers .

I would appreciate any insight anyone has.  I'd like to get this fixed.

0 Likes
Re: Home Network Protection not working
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

For G1100, can't you setup Parental Controls directly on G1100's router GUI?

Or it shows a message when you navigate to that page saying it is disabled?

Unless you require web filtering and content filtering, I would not recommend use HNP to set up parental controls. This adds an extra layer of complexity. 

0 Likes
Re: Home Network Protection not working
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi T-Bomb,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Messenger Inbox for a message from a Verizon Support agent. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page and then clicking the envelope icon that appears at the top of the menu. Response times may vary and may be delayed at this time. Please continue to check your Inbox for a reply from a Verizon agent. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes