Home network DSL
morningmaniac
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon recently sent me a new modem/router, dLink DSL-2750B.  I have two questions about my home network setup.  First, the instruction sheet said it has a unique MAC (SSID) code, however I wanted to change it as well as the WPA-2 key.  If I do so on my wired computer, it will not let me make the wireless connection with the laptop, even though the correct SSID/key are put in there.  It will only allow the connection if I use the manufacturer's codes.  I'm not comfortable with that, so any suggestions?

Second question is in my network folder there appears VERIZONDRIVE.  This was never there using my old modem/router, and I can't seem to find out what this is--any ideas?  Is it suppose to be there?

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Home network DSL
morningmaniac
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ah, I never thought about removing the old network--that's it exactly.  Thank you so much for answering my questions!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you changed the SSID and/or Security code (leave it on WPA2 since the D-Link is a Wireless N router, and WPA2 is needed to use N!), did you remove the network from your computer's Preferred Network list before attempting to enter in a new key? It might have been trying to use an old key still, especially if the SSID was not changed.

Also, the share you see appearing on your PC is the router's ability to share a USB Drive to the network. Plug in a USB stick or hard drive into the USB port on the router and see what happens 🙂

morningmaniac
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ah, I never thought about removing the old network--that's it exactly.  Thank you so much for answering my questions!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Great to hear! Let us know if you need anything else 🙂

0 Likes