Home network setup
NetworkingDude
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'd appreciate some advice/confirmation about changes I was thinking of for my home network.  Does this make sense?  Setup errors?  Recommendations?  Thoughts?

Verizon FIOSG1100 Router to ...

NETGEAR ProSAFE 24-Port Gigabit Switch 10/100/1000 Mbps (JGS524) to ...

existing wired CAT5 ethernet to various places in house to ...

several old routers set as wireless access points (not as routers)

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Home network setup
Cbartho
Enthusiast - Level 3

That should work, turn off dhcp on all the other routers except the g1100 and it should work as long as the Ethernet it consistent and the routers work. I would also rename the routers to all match so it auto flows depending on which you’re closest too rather than have to relog into the one you’re closer too each time, same SSIDs and same passwords. 

NetworkingDude
Enthusiast - Level 1

Great - that's what I thought, but just wanted to confirm.  Good point about the SSID/Passwords, too.  Thanks

0 Likes
NetworkingDude
Enthusiast - Level 1

Purchased NETGEAR ProSAFE 24-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch 10/100/1000 Mbps (JGS524) from NewEgg.  Good price, 24 ports - more than I'll ever need, but good equipment.  I've got an 8-line hard-wired.  

Dumb question: there is no particular "Input" RJ-45.  Does that mean that I can plug my Verizon FIOS router into any of the 24 ports and the device will work it out?  Thx.  

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Should be plug and play. I personally like to wire my switch on the last port. So I'll go to my lan port from router and wire to port 24. And if applicable I'll try to connect port 1 of switch to data jack #1.  Not always possible in every application but can help with troubleshooting. 

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes