Hook ing up a wireless LINKYSYS
jh116
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am hooking up a wireless broadband router to my westell 6100 modem, when the router is completely installed the computer will not work

0 Likes
Re: Hook ing up a wireless LINKYSYS
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Just a quick question here. When you are setting up the Linksys, how exactly are you doing it? Are you following the instructions Verizon gives for setting up a router using a Westell 6100 (which would involve shutting off the modem's router feature, and setting it to Bridge mode) or are you simply connecting things and allowing the Linksys Setup wizard auto-configure everything? If the latter, I would suggest bridging the DSL modem before even setting up the Linksys. Otherwise, you will have to change the IP address of te Linksys to something else besides 192.168.1.1.
0 Likes
tom5490
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having problems similar to those reported by the original poster in this thread. I did bridge the Westell 6100 (per instructions at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600 ), and now I am trying to get the combination to work, but have not been able to so far. Do you know what needs to be done once the Westell has been bridged? Thanks in advance for any advice. Tom

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Once the Westell is bridged, you would need to ensure your router is set up to use PPPoE which is what is used to connect in most of Verizon's service area for DSL. In some areas they may be using DHCP (Where the Westell would report using "Routed Bridge" mode), and in the case of DHCP you just need to leave your modem powered off overnight to brea the DHCP lease.

0 Likes
tom5490
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your rapid response, Smith6612. In PPPoE mode, a logon and password are required. Do you know what those are, or how to find them out? I tried using the password for configuring the Westell (default "admin" and "password", and then after changing the default I tried what I had changed the default to), and also my Verizon online login logon and password. Neither of those seemed to work. Any ideas? Thanks again. Tom

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In most areas, only a password is needed to connect  a PPPoE session. Your Verizon Username and Password should work. If it's not working I would ensure the router is not using an MTU greater than 1492. I would also make sure your modem was bridged correctly. It needs to be set to "Bridged" mode, and not "Routed Bridged" mode if you are selecting that particular setting in the modem's VC Settings. DHCP needs to be disabled on the modem as well.

Away from that, ensure that if you had reset the modem to factory defaults, that the walled garden is disabled. That will stop the PPPoE connection from being established. There is an FAQ on dslreports.com for the walled garden. It's found at http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm on Westell modems.

0 Likes