Horrible 1st day experience upgrading to FIOS
thejoneses2

I so dreaded upgrading from copper phone line and DSL internet to FIOS because I knew this would be an unpleasant experience.  And after spending the better part of the past 15 hours dealing with Verizon today, I'm not sure I want to remain a FIOS, much less even a Verizon customer.  A few months ago we were interested in getting caller id so Verizon came out and after discussing the options with the technician we decided it would be better to wait until we were ready to upgrade to FIOS.  I got his tech id initials and name so that when we would be ready to  go FIOS, I could ask for him to be the technician because he had already surveyed what was needed and shared that the day of installation he would have to arrange for a bucket truck due to the wooded area we live in.

We had delayed upgrading to FIOS because my spouse has a heart monitor and the cardiologist's office warned us they were having difficulty communicating with them in some areas serviced by FIOS. A month ago we received the dreaded Verizon letter informing us they were discontinuing servicing our copper line in this area and urging us to set up an appointment to upgrade to FIOS.  We were already with Verizon for DSL which was sufficient for our needs and we had COMCAST for cable.  So after researching what our options for the heart monitor were, I called Verizon to see what packages were available.  For the channels we watch, I agreed to a triple play, with the Ultimate package plus HBO, Showtime, & Cinemax, for the recurring monthly fee of $183.74 per month for the next 2 years.  Although I only wanted Showtime the sales rep gushed how the plan she was offering wold include HBO and Cinemax as well, and the $183.74 monthly fee is the final amount afer all charges for hardware, taxes, etc.  Based on that I agreed to sign-up.  Because of some medical appointments I asked to arrange for the installation date to be delayted 3 1/2 weeks from then.  I gave her the originial technician's tech ID and name and she assured us she would reach out to his regional manager to specify our request for him as the tech and so that he would receive the credit.  She also cautioned me that the confirmation email I would receive for the order would have a higher dollar amount and that I shouldn't be concerned; she said by default those emails dont display all the discounts she was applying. 

Installation was scheduled for today between 0800 and 1100; a Verizon tech shows up at 0900, but it's not the one we requested.  He informs us he didn't know he would need a bucket truck and another 1 or 2 guys to help, and that he was only working half a day today, and then proceeded to try to convince us to reschedule our appointment.  I explained that I had already scheduled today's appointment several weeks out so that both my husband and I could be home from work.  He left by 1000 saying that Verizon was trying to get a crew together, and he left his card. 

By 1500 this afternoon we had not seen or heard anything further; after waiting on Verizon for 5 hours, I called the technician from earlier this morning and left a message asking for an update.  45 minutes later I had not received a return call so I called the main Verizon number; got a lovely recording stating they expected to be on site between 1630 and 1730.  At 1730 a new Verizon tech shows up; after 2 more tech showed up in a bucket truck around 1800, the installation finally began.  Shortly after 2100, the technician completed the installation.  Oh, but the Verizon adventure didn't end there....

An hour later I was checking out the cable channels, and discovered I had no HBO.  So I called Verizon (again), worked my way through the automated messages (again) to find out why HBO wasn't enabled; the first rep needed to transfer me to a 2nd rep who informed me HBO wasn't included.  So now I had to go through the whole recap of the channels and services we would receive for the quoted monthly price of $183.74 after all taxes, fees, etc. for the next 2 years.  The rep informs me that price isn't correct and instead should $201.49 per month as it appears in the confirmation email when I ordered (You know, the one I was initially told would be incorrect.)  and that price does not include HBO.  But not to worry, I could add HBO on for an additional fee. 

I spent the next 45 minutes mostly on hold while the rep periodically told me he was checking to see what he could do.  He eventually states that the rep obviously made a mistake because she told me price would be $201.49 minus $17.75 to arrive at $183.74, but she shouldn't have subtracted that $17.75.  He then says he can't help at all, and that the monthly fee will be $201.49 per month WITHOUT HBO.  I told him I had the name of the Verizon sales rep that quoted me the $183.74 price and I guess I'll have to call Verizon (again), wade through the automated messages (again!) next Tuesday after the holiday and ask for that agent to discuss it with her. 

It's now 23:46, we missed dinner due to the installation taking place at that time so we're hungry and exhausted from our 1st day in FIOS land and the kicker is we didn't get to use the service the 1st day of billing. 

I'm thankfu I didn't call COMCAST yet to cancel our cable service because at this point I'm not yet sure I want to even stay with FIOS.   I'm dreading having to call Verizon AGAIN next Tuesday to try to get it straightened out.  We shouldn't have to pay an extra $17.75 per month for the next 24 months PLUS not have HBO, due to another Verizon employee's mistake. 

0 Likes
Re: Horrible 1st day experience upgrading to FIOS
thejoneses2

It is now 01:56 the next morning as I compose this.  An hour ago I realized the tech didn't mention anything about how to get our voicemail or block calls, etc.  First I try using the tv remote's MENU - FIOS DIGITAL VOICE feature; get a network error.  Next I google and find the Verizon web page telling me to just call {edited for privacy}; try that but doesn't recognize my number.  Then I call Verizon support (AGAIN) and get someone with an accent I can barely understand that eventually tells me someone in the business office can help me.  I get transferred to a new rep who tells me I'll have to call back in 24 hours to ask it be enabled because the account is too new for him to do that.

I swear I'm on some twisted Verizon reality show that tests your patience.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

We did not hear back from you on your Private Support case. We hope you were able to find resolution to your issue.

If you require further assistance, feel free to make a new post, and we can be sure to look into your issue. As always, we're available for support around the clock.

Thanks,
Marcial

0 Likes
thejoneses2

The responses from Verizon reps on this forum were of zero help.  Obviously Verizon doesn't hold their reps that sign you up accountable for the price and channel info they quote. 

0 Likes