House wired with RG6u ? Will it work?
kak319

Thinking of switching over to FIOS, which has just been offered in my neighborhood.  Unfortunately, I just finished a major renovation, so there is zero chance I am drilling or running any new wires to the rooms (one hole into the house is fine).

After checking last night, the wiring I used has this printed on the side - RG6-U - 75 ohm -18 awg.  They were premade wires that are 100 and 50 foot lengths, depending on where they go.  Chances of success?  I thought all RG6 was supposed to have thicker copper lines in the middle than 18 gauge.

0 Likes
Re: House wired with RG6u ? Will it work?
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

RG6 should work for you.

Depending on the speed you get though it might only be used for video, and Ethernet may be used for the router.

Nonetheless, if you switch, it will be successful.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

All new installation is now done via Ethernet so there will have to be some sort of access in walls or baseboard to run the ethernet cable cat6 or 5e is used.

you can then use moca adapters to get connected to your set top boxes if you decide on TV with internet.

kak319

Thanks for the guidance... they would have to run ethernet from where to where? 

What legs of the chain would need it? 

I have homeruns of the RG6u to my mechanical room, which is where the line would likely enter from the street.  Once the ONT is installed inside the house, there are a collection of RG6 lines to the tv locations.  In fact there is both a to and from line to the main TV in the house, where my current modum and router are located.

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

They would need to run it from where the ONT is installed to where you'd like the router to be. The from line will be useful as it will probably be connected to the MoCA LAN connection on the FiOS router and run back to the ONT where it will be connected to a splitter. The to line would be run to the TV in that room. Ethernet can just be ran directly to your router in that case. (This is assuming that based off what you said basically two lines run to where your TV and modem are)

In a setup like I am guessing jonjones is speaking of (using a custom router, right?), if you use your own router, you can use the MoCA Adaptor, or you can even run the WAN Ethernet to your own router and daisy-chain the Verizon router to you own  router (LAN on your router to WAN on the Verizon router). I believe the latter gives more complete services for that setup.

0 Likes
kak319

Could I just keep the router in the mechanical room?  (1st floor of a 3 floor brick rowhouse)?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Dubdub wrote:

Could I just keep the router in the mechanical room?  (1st floor of a 3 floor brick rowhouse)?

You can have the router placed anywhere. But you would need an adapter for a house that sized. Many times the installer can figure out all you need and how to place it.

i don’t use Fios tv but gigabyte internet. But I have my own router which has many LAN ports and I have a powered switch which I ran cat6 ethernet to many of our devices.

Apple Tv’s and Roku and Blu ray devices, and our smart TVs, and our game console, and we have a Netgear extender which we use out on the patio etc for our friends.

these devices also have WiFi. Which is also on Incase we lose ethernet connections or visa versa.