How do I disable WiFi on WAP?
sparklesquid
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to fully disable WiFi on my router, which includes both gateway box and Wireless Access Point box. Using the 192.168.1.1 configuration settings accessed via ethernet through the WAP box, I turned off both wifi radio frequencies. However, I am still able to connect via WiFi. Turning off the gateway's WiFi is the only approach mentioned online and in the router's PDF manual on the Verizon support web site.

I am using a Wireless Access Point (WAP) nearby, and the wireless connection LED light is green and blinking, which means there are still devices connecting to it via WiFi. I could not find any configuration setting to disable the WiFi on the WAP. The WAP is connected via coaxial cable to the gateway. After configuring the gateway to disable the radio signals, I tried using the WPS buttons to synchronize the WAP with the gateway. That did nothing, so I unplugged the gateway's power cord and plugged it back in. Now I see the 5G radio signal in wifi but not the 2.4G radio signal.

How do I fully disable WiFi on both the gateway and the Wireless Access Point? I disabled it on the gateway through the 192.168.1.1 router settings, but how do I get the WAP WiFi to stop also? How do I get the settings to synchronize between the gateway and the WAP?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I disable WiFi on WAP?
jonjones1
Legend

The wireless access point is assigned its own IP address so you look under your device list and you see what is assigned to it. After you have the IP address you log in via the address in example 192.168.x.xx the manual or quick start guide tells you the login and password for the unit.

@sparklesquidwrote:

The gateway is the the garage and has its own wireless signal. The WAP is inside the house and has its own wireless signal. I connect via ethernet to the WAP -- it's a router box. The WAP connects to the gateway via the in-wall coaxial cable.

I want to turn off the Wi-Fi signals from both the garage gateway box and the indoor WAP router box. Disabling Wi-Fi via the 192.168.1.1 control panel apparently only disables the signal from the box in the garage.

How do I do this?

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Isn't the WAP only used for WIFI?

If so, just disconnect and/or power it off.

0 Likes
sparklesquid
Enthusiast - Level 1

The gateway is the the garage and has its own wireless signal. The WAP is inside the house and has its own wireless signal. I connect via ethernet to the WAP -- it's a router box. The WAP connects to the gateway via the in-wall coaxial cable.

I want to turn off the Wi-Fi signals from both the garage gateway box and the indoor WAP router box. Disabling Wi-Fi via the 192.168.1.1 control panel apparently only disables the signal from the box in the garage.

How do I do this?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Depends on the model of your WAP.

Try googling the model number and manual.

There should be setup instructions included.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The wireless access point is assigned its own IP address so you look under your device list and you see what is assigned to it. After you have the IP address you log in via the address in example 192.168.x.xx the manual or quick start guide tells you the login and password for the unit.

@sparklesquidwrote:

How do I do this?

sparklesquid
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks. In this situation, the IP for the gateway is 192.168.1.1 and the IP for the WAP (Wireless Access Point) is 192.168.1.151 . I was able to use the information from the sticker that came with the gateway to sign in and configure it, and similarly the information from the sticker that is on the WAP to sign in and configure it.

0 Likes