How do I request new IP address?
NotSmartGuy
Enthusiast - Level 1

One particular website has banned my IP address because I was refreshing the page too much trying to buy something without using a proxy because I didn't think it was a problem.  How can I request the router change my IP address so that I can start fresh?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I request new IP address?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

Simpler ways.

1) from the command prompt type ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew

but that way is for the LAN IP Address and assumes that the OS is Windows. If not Windows, that depends on the OS.

They need to log-in to the router and release and renew the WAN IP Address. As how to do that, that depends on the brand and model of the router.

@jonjones wrote:

Simpler ways.

2) call 1-800-VERIZON to do the release/renew

but your way works. You only need it to be disconnected for 2 hours. In the future.

Since I do not or ever had FIOS, I suspect/believe that to be true.

View solution in original post

NotSmartGuy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I figured it out, for anybody else who has this problem.  Residential IP's are dynamic not static, meaning they change occasionally.  The way you can force it to change is to unplug your router and modem overnight and then plug it back in in the morning.  Worked for me, got a new number, and can visit the site again (less aggressively this time!)

jonjones1
Legend

Simpler ways.

but your way works. You only need it to be disconnected for 2 hours. In the future.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

Simpler ways.

but that way is for the LAN IP Address and assumes that the OS is Windows. If not Windows, that depends on the OS.

They need to log-in to the router and release and renew the WAN IP Address. As how to do that, that depends on the brand and model of the router.

@jonjones wrote:

Simpler ways.

Since I do not or ever had FIOS, I suspect/believe that to be true.