How much data do I need for streaming?
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I read online that streaming standard definition is 1 GB per hour & streaming high definition is 3 GB per hour.

I'm paying for 100Mbps.

So, when I do the math:

100 megabits per second divided by 8 bits per byte = 12.5 megabytes per second.

12.5 megabytes per second times 60 seconds per minute = 750 megabytes per minute

750 megabytes per minute times 60 minutes per hour = 45 gigabytes per hour.

Does that mean that I can reduce the rate to less than 100 megabits per second? Does FIOS have a rate of less than 100 Mbps? I think not but I could be wrong.

I also read online about simultaneous streams. This streaming mumbo-jumbo confuses me somewhat. Since I have 2 TVs, I want at least 2 simultaneous streams. 
Does using a smartphone or laptop or desktop count as a stream for each one?

Let's see, I have a desktop computer, 2 FIOS HD STBs, a smartphone & 1 laptop. Maybe I'll get an iPad. All of them aren't in use at the same time.

Let's assume a worse case scenario. Let's say that both TVs are on & the desktop computer & laptop & smartphone are all being used simultaneously. That's 5 devices sharing bandwidth. Does that mean that I need 5 simultaneous streams? Is the 100 Mbps being equally shared among all 5 devices so that each device has 20 Mbps stream? (20 Mbps = 9 GB/hour). Would some of the devices be a bandwidth hog?

So, what streaming rate do I need in order to avoid buffering?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How much data do I need for streaming?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not really sure the exact math, but the how much per hour is actually irrelevant because there is no data caps. You use as much data to stream as you want. Just keep in mind most streaming services offer two streams at once anyway. So if you are watching two 4K streams at once that is 50 mbps. You still have 50 left for whatever else.

Yes any devices whether TV, computer, or smartphone will count towards your streaming plan. Netflix plans for example start out with two streams at 1080p. If you get the 4K plan you get 4 streams. 

I used to have 50 mbps with my wife and I on Netflix and two kids on YouTube and or Netflix so really 100 mbps is just fine. Just think 25 mbps for a 4K stream. So how much internet speed you need is really up to you. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Netflix recommends 25 mbps for a 4k stream and even less for 1080 stream. So if you are watching a 4k movie you will have 75 mbps to spare. 

You could downgrade to 50 or 75 mbps but I’m not sure if Verizon even offers those speeds anymore. 

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Please answer my other questions:

I read online that streaming standard definition is 1 GB per hour & streaming high definition is 3 GB per hour.

I'm paying for 100Mbps.

So, when I do the math:

100 megabits per second divided by 8 bits per byte = 12.5 megabytes per second.

12.5 megabytes per second times 60 seconds per minute = 750 megabytes per minute

750 megabytes per minute times 60 minutes per hour = 45 gigabytes per hour.

45 gigabytes per hour is way more than 3 gigabytes per hour. So, I suppose that I have a fast enough internet speed, right?

AND...

I also read online about simultaneous streams. This streaming mumbo-jumbo confuses me somewhat. Since I have 2 TVs, I want at least 2 simultaneous streams.
Does using a smartphone or laptop or desktop count as a stream for each one?

Let's see, I have a desktop computer, 2 FIOS HD STBs, a smartphone & 1 laptop. All of them aren't in use at the same time.

Let's assume a worse case scenario. Let's say that both TVs are on & the desktop computer & laptop & smartphone are all being used simultaneously. That's 5 devices sharing bandwidth. Does that mean that I need 5 simultaneous streams? Is the 100 Mbps being equally shared among all 5 devices so that each device has 20 Mbps stream? (20 Mbps = 9 GB/hour). Would some of the devices be a bandwidth hog?

Thank you.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It really depends on what each of the devices are doing on the Internet.

If all 5 are streaming, and trying to run 4K, you will probably have a bottleneck.

But if only TVs are streaming videa and others are browsing, then you are probably ok.

All you can really do is try it and see how it goes.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not really sure the exact math, but the how much per hour is actually irrelevant because there is no data caps. You use as much data to stream as you want. Just keep in mind most streaming services offer two streams at once anyway. So if you are watching two 4K streams at once that is 50 mbps. You still have 50 left for whatever else.

Yes any devices whether TV, computer, or smartphone will count towards your streaming plan. Netflix plans for example start out with two streams at 1080p. If you get the 4K plan you get 4 streams. 

I used to have 50 mbps with my wife and I on Netflix and two kids on YouTube and or Netflix so really 100 mbps is just fine. Just think 25 mbps for a 4K stream. So how much internet speed you need is really up to you.