How should I encourage Verizon to enter my apartment?
ID3
Enthusiast - Level 1

My building is bringing FIOS to each apartment. They are running exterior fiber in the hallways and need to enter each unit. I have two possible locations in mind: 

1.) Closet with box that contains a hub to all coax connections to each room in my apartment. There is no power in this closet.  Exterior facing to the common hallway, but far away from the front door.

2.) Another closet that has no coax connections and no power.  Next to front door , so easy to see how to enter.

The installers want to put the FIOS connection in  #2.  They said their job is just to enter the fiber into the apartment and in a few weeks an additional set of installers can run "clear wire" to my other closet which has coax (which is pretty far away and would go through multiple rooms).  Is this the best option? 

If it's possible to convert fiber to coax without power and go to my router (at gigabit speeds), I feel like it would be much better if I could push them to enter at where my coax hub is (#1). That way I don't have to run exterior wiring around my apartment or run power either of my closets. 

I don't plan to subscribe to T.V. if that changes anything. 

Thoughts?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How should I encourage Verizon to enter my apartment?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dexman wrote:

I haven't yet seen a FiOS installation inside of an multi domicile apartment building.

Could the first technician be tasked with bringing a feeder into a centralized location within the building and a later technician run jumpers from that location to the individual apartments where the ONTs would be installed along with the necessary cables? 🤔

The installers that run the ducts down the hallway are contractors and place them where they are planned. After the verizon lineman and splicers will pull the feeder fibers and place/splice terminals. When you order service a tech will run your individual fiber drop to your unit. They will run the clear curve fiber in you unit to where you need the ONT. 

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you order Fios, they will install a device called an optical network terminal, or ONT, inside your apartment.  The ONT is powered device that connects to the fiber.  It provides Ethernet for internet, coax for TV and a phone jack for phone service.  The Verizon installer will find a location for it within your apartment that make sense given it's need for power, fiber and connectivity to your subscribed services.  Since you're planning on internet only, no coax will be used, just Ethernet from the ONT.

The interior "clear wire" fiber is very hard to see.  The installer will run it inside your apartment to the appropirate ONT location.  The ONT won't be installed in either location you listed, as there is no power available.

It is not possible to convert fiber to anything without the powered ONT.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't yet seen a FiOS installation inside of an multi domicile apartment building.

Could the first technician be tasked with bringing a feeder into a centralized location within the building and a later technician run jumpers from that location to the individual apartments where the ONTs would be installed along with the necessary cables? 🤔

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dexman wrote:

The installers that run the ducts down the hallway are contractors and place them where they are planned. After the verizon lineman and splicers will pull the feeder fibers and place/splice terminals. When you order service a tech will run your individual fiber drop to your unit. They will run the clear curve fiber in you unit to where you need the ONT. 

ID3
Enthusiast - Level 1

So just to update, I tried to install today- and the tech said him and his boss have never heard of "clear curve" or any other low visibility fiber.  My only option was for him to staple white fiber around my apartment or hire an electrician to bring power to my closet.  I ended up declining.  Think it's worth reaching out to Verizon? Kinda odd that the two installation teams would be out of sync. 

0 Likes