How to Use My Ubiquity UDM-Pro as My Primary Router?
BeerSnob
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not necessarily wanting to upgrade to more than 100/100 right now (future yes of course).

My more pressing but I think related issue, is trying to use my new Ubiquity UDM-Pro as my primary Router.

Since you guys like details, here they are:

• 5 year old single story home
  • I have 100/100 into the ONT (Alcatel I-211M-K) - Inside garage wall
  • Coax from ONT through garage wall to outside where it splits 6 ways then up to eve and back into house
  • 1 coax line goes to a TiVO Premier XL 4 with a cable card (no cable boxes, just TiVO minis spread around the house.  (I'm 91% sure this TiVO Premier is set as a MoCA bridge?)
  • 1 coax line goes to a G1100 placed on a network rack
  • On the rack the G1100 has Cat6 from it's LAN to the UDM-Pro WAN port
  • On the rack is a Unifi AP 6-lite (wifi 2.4/5GHz)
  • Cat6 from UDM-Pro to a Unifi Mini switch out to various wired clients and another AP on the opposite side of the drywall from rack. (AVR, TV, AppleTV, etc)

The UDM-Pro and the AP see the internet.  I see clients connected to them and those clients also see the internet.....btw with significantly faster speed then via the G1100 radios.

My question is, even though "all seems good", I'm pretty sure I want the G1100 to be a dumb box and have all my routing and security handled by the UDM-Pro ..otherwise I run the risk of having a double NAT (?).  I've been reading all over for days on how to set the G1100 into "bridge" mode but most of the info is clear as mud.

I did attempt the following today and in the end I could not get the UDM-Pro to see the internet so I reverted back.  What I did was:

Accessed G1100 > My Network > Network Connections > Network (Home/Office) > Settings

Changed IP Address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254

Changed IPC Address Distribution from DHCP Server to Disabled

Clicked Applied

Found the tutorial here on the forms >> https://forums.verizon.com/t5/G1100-Bridging-Guide/bd-p/g1100-bridging-guide 

1. Not having Ethernet from ONT to G1100, can I make this a "dumb box"?
  2. Could I put a MoCA 2.5 adapter at the ONT and another at the rack?..or am I putting the cart before the horse...
  3. I'm a fan of MoCA and don't have a problem investing if 2.5 or 2.0 adapters

I really feel like I need to be turning off the router's "router/security" features and using the UDM-Pro instead.....but I cant figure out the correct steps....thanks! 👍

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to Use My Ubiquity UDM-Pro as My Primary Router?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

How feasible is it for you to run an Ethernet cable between the ONT and your Ubiquity UDM-Pro? If it is easy to do, I recommend you to pull the Ethernet cable and contact the official tech support to switch your broadband connection from MoCA to Ethernet. Since you have TV service, the Coax connection to your TiVo box needs to be remained in place because TiVo gets the analog TV signal from the ONT. I doubt TiVo acts as a MoCA adapter. To check for sure, go to G1100 > My Network > Network Connections > Network (Home/Office) > Coax > Settings > Go to LAN Coax Status. If you see two or more active MoCA connections, then TiVO is acting as a MoCA adapter to receive network connection from G1100 via Coax. If not, I think your TiVo box is connected through WiFi or Ethernet.

If you don't want to switch your broadband connection from MoCA to Ethernet and still want to reduce G1100 into a link layer device (meaning it does not handle routing between networks any more, and your UDM becomes the primary router), then G1100 can only be an Ethernet-MoCA "bridge" either on the WAN side or the LAN side. It cannot be both. G1100 technically consists of two MoCA adapters, but for both adapters to function, you still need to enable its routing function (which you don't want).

Let's say you want G1100 simply to be a MoCA-Ethernet bridge to convert the MoCA WAN from the ONT to Ethernet WAN, then I need to give you specific instructions which are not documented anywhere. But if you switch the broadband connection on the ONT from MoCA to Ethernet, you don't need the G1100 to do the conversion.

Also, thank you for checking out the Interactive Bridging Guide. The Guide is meant for adding the G1100 as a layer 2 device to an existing LAN network. You may be want to bridge it to the WAN network to act as a MoCA-to-Ethernet adapter instead.

Please let me know how you want to setup, so I can give you the appropriate instructions.

One more thing. You have 100/100 Internet and TV services, then you must be on a legacy package. Have you checked Mix and Match pricing to see whether it could reduce your monthly cost? The lowest Fios Internet is 300/300, so a MoCA to Ethernet switch on the ONT may be inevitable.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

How feasible is it for you to run an Ethernet cable between the ONT and your Ubiquity UDM-Pro? If it is easy to do, I recommend you to pull the Ethernet cable and contact the official tech support to switch your broadband connection from MoCA to Ethernet. Since you have TV service, the Coax connection to your TiVo box needs to be remained in place because TiVo gets the analog TV signal from the ONT. I doubt TiVo acts as a MoCA adapter. To check for sure, go to G1100 > My Network > Network Connections > Network (Home/Office) > Coax > Settings > Go to LAN Coax Status. If you see two or more active MoCA connections, then TiVO is acting as a MoCA adapter to receive network connection from G1100 via Coax. If not, I think your TiVo box is connected through WiFi or Ethernet.

If you don't want to switch your broadband connection from MoCA to Ethernet and still want to reduce G1100 into a link layer device (meaning it does not handle routing between networks any more, and your UDM becomes the primary router), then G1100 can only be an Ethernet-MoCA "bridge" either on the WAN side or the LAN side. It cannot be both. G1100 technically consists of two MoCA adapters, but for both adapters to function, you still need to enable its routing function (which you don't want).

Let's say you want G1100 simply to be a MoCA-Ethernet bridge to convert the MoCA WAN from the ONT to Ethernet WAN, then I need to give you specific instructions which are not documented anywhere. But if you switch the broadband connection on the ONT from MoCA to Ethernet, you don't need the G1100 to do the conversion.

Also, thank you for checking out the Interactive Bridging Guide. The Guide is meant for adding the G1100 as a layer 2 device to an existing LAN network. You may be want to bridge it to the WAN network to act as a MoCA-to-Ethernet adapter instead.

Please let me know how you want to setup, so I can give you the appropriate instructions.

One more thing. You have 100/100 Internet and TV services, then you must be on a legacy package. Have you checked Mix and Match pricing to see whether it could reduce your monthly cost? The lowest Fios Internet is 300/300, so a MoCA to Ethernet switch on the ONT may be inevitable.

BeerSnob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the quick input....

How feasible is it for you to run an Ethernet cable between the ONT and your Ubiquity UDM-Pro?

Nothing is impossible.  It's just that I'm in Florida and there is attic space above the garage, but further interior is under a Hip roof (shallow)with blown insulation.  So there is me at 6-1, unbearable heat in the summer, and the ceiling joists are hidden under blown insulation...makes for no bueno.   I may inquire on a service or at least wait till "winter".

If you see two or more active MoCA connections, then TiVO is acting as a MoCA adapter to receive network connection from G1100 via Coax.

I do see more than two and when I enter their IP into a browser, I get a TiVo splash screen "Congratulations - You've successfully connected your TiVo box to your broadband-Internet-connected home network."

I do not have a wifi dongle or ethernet cable plugged into my main TiVo box, or any Tivo for that matter.

If you don't want to switch your broadband connection from MoCA to Ethernet...

Let's say no for now.

Let's say you want G1100 simply to be a MoCA-Ethernet bridge to convert the MoCA WAN from the ONT

to Ethernet WAN.....

Yes, this makes sense for now, until next winter when it is not 110 degrees up there.....

Let me also say I have 2 Actiontec wcb3000n's (MoCA 1.0 👎) and an Actiontec WCB6200Q (MoCA 2.0).  I had used these to spread out the wifi coverage, but plan to shut those radios down (or remove them all-together) when all the Unifi APs are up.  The LAN Coax Connection Stats indicate 6 Devices, (3 MoCA APs and 3 TiVo's)

Thanks 👍

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wait a second, you are in Florida? You have Frontier Fios instead of Verizon Fios? It is technically out of our "jurisdiction," but Frontier inherited many Verizon products and our suggestions to you should still be valid.

WCB3000N and WCB6200Q can be used as LAN MoCA adapters, but WCB3000N is capped at 175Mbps and WCB6200Q is capped at 1000Mbps. You need either a WCB3000N or WCB6200Q to feed MoCA LAN to the TiVo boxes because once the G1100 is configured to WAN bridging mode, all of its LAN interfaces are no longer separated from the WAN. Using LAN Coax from G1100 would not work unless you ordered more than one public IPs and, even worse, expose the connected device to the public Internet. WCN3000N and WCB6200Q cannot be used as WAN MoCA adapters because their MoCA operating frequency is hard-coded to a different band.

To configure G1100 into WAN MoCA bridge,

1) Disconnect all devices including Ethernet, Coax, and WiFi, except the WAN Coax coming from the ONT and the device you are using to access the admin panel.

2) Go to My Network > Network Connections > Network (Home/Office) > Settings > Bridge: Check Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) > Apply.

3) Disable all wireless and LAN Coax interfaces.

Now, G1100 should just act like a WAN MoCA adapter. It converts WAN Coax from the ONT to 4 LAN WAN ports. Connect an Ethernet cable between one of the LAN port and your UDM-Pro.

To re-establish your LAN Coax network, plug an Ethernet cable between your UDM-Pro and WCB3000N/WCB6200Q. To see all TiVos are connected back, login to WCB3000N/WCB6200Q's admin panel and type in [ip]/moca_status.html to view the hidden stats.

BeerSnob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bah! Yes......I forgot, bills are auto pay and all the equipment still says Verizon (router, ONT, etc) 

I will try those steps tonight once I can take the network down and will report back after. 

Once I complete those 3 steps is there nothing I need to do to kickstart a new lease to the UDM-Pro?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

WAN DHCP lease would be automatic for Verizon networks, but I am not sure of Frontier. Don't they have a Forums you could ask?

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes