How to connect new Trendnet router?
hondagirl2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Boy am I stupid.  I have a verizon router that came with the service.  I figured since it was 7 years old that it was probably junk and I needed a new one, since we have a lot of wireless devices in the home now.  I just got the Trendnet AC1750 in the mail from Amazon and the instructions says I need a modem.  WTH?  I can only assume the verizon router is also a modem.  I don't want to used it because it is old.  What do I do now?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to connect new Trendnet router?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

That Westell you've got there is a multi function box.  It is a DSL modem, home router, Ethernet switch and 802.11g access point.  Maybe even a toaster, too, but I don't see where the bread goes in.

The Trendnet device you purchased is a home router, gigabit Ethernet switch and 802.11ac access point.  It is not a DSL modem, although it is sort of toaster shaped.

You must have a DSL modem to connect to the phone line and provide internet.  So, you can't just toss out the Westell like yesterday's stale bread (besides, the birds won't eat it).  What you can do is disable the functions in the Westell you don't need anymore use the Trendnet for them.  In particular, you'll want to use the Trendnet for WiFi and wired Ethernet since it's faster.  This will enable faster data transfers between devices in your home.  Of course, access to the internet will be limited by your DSL speed, which is most likely less than 10Mbps (a speed easily handled by the Westell).

You'll want to login the Westell and turn off the WiFi access point.  Of course, do this from a wired connection otherwise you'll find you can't talk to it anymore. 

Once you've shut off the WiFi in the Westell, plug an Ethernet cable into the WAN jack on the Trendnet and one of the LAN jacks on the Westell.  You will now be using the Trendnet for WiFi.  Plug any other wired devices into the Trendnet so they get gigabit speeds.

Without doing any other adjustments, you now have two separate networks in your home.  One is everything connected to the Trendnet, the other is the link between the Trendnet and the Westell.  Devices (not the routers) on one network cannot see devices on the other.  This also creates a double NAT network between the Trendnet devices and the internet.  Usually not a problem unless your running servers or doing other advance networking stuff.  VPN clients should work, but they could have problems.

You can avoid double NAT mode by disabling the DHCP server in the Trendnet or setting the Westell to bridge mode.  If this is starting to be more confusing than trying to figure out why toast always lands butter side down, then don't worry about it unless you find some of your stuff isn't working right.

If you've misplaced the user guide for the Westell, mighty Google located it for us:

http://www.westell.com/docs/support-documents/327w11_06_ug.pdf

Chapter 7 tells you how to login to device if you need this info.

Section 12.4 tells you how to configure wireless; the key point being the setting to turn it off.

Appendix B discuss the toastability of different types of bread.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have at least two choices:

A) Post the model number of your Verizon device so we can advise on how to use or replace it.

1) Decide that the Verizon device is working just fine, even if it is old (like some of us), return the Trendnet and spend your money on a nice bottle of wine.

Good Luck

hondagirl2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Westell VersaLink 327W Gateway.  Love the second option you mentioned Smiley Wink but prefer to use the new equipment I purchased.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

That Westell you've got there is a multi function box.  It is a DSL modem, home router, Ethernet switch and 802.11g access point.  Maybe even a toaster, too, but I don't see where the bread goes in.

The Trendnet device you purchased is a home router, gigabit Ethernet switch and 802.11ac access point.  It is not a DSL modem, although it is sort of toaster shaped.

You must have a DSL modem to connect to the phone line and provide internet.  So, you can't just toss out the Westell like yesterday's stale bread (besides, the birds won't eat it).  What you can do is disable the functions in the Westell you don't need anymore use the Trendnet for them.  In particular, you'll want to use the Trendnet for WiFi and wired Ethernet since it's faster.  This will enable faster data transfers between devices in your home.  Of course, access to the internet will be limited by your DSL speed, which is most likely less than 10Mbps (a speed easily handled by the Westell).

You'll want to login the Westell and turn off the WiFi access point.  Of course, do this from a wired connection otherwise you'll find you can't talk to it anymore. 

Once you've shut off the WiFi in the Westell, plug an Ethernet cable into the WAN jack on the Trendnet and one of the LAN jacks on the Westell.  You will now be using the Trendnet for WiFi.  Plug any other wired devices into the Trendnet so they get gigabit speeds.

Without doing any other adjustments, you now have two separate networks in your home.  One is everything connected to the Trendnet, the other is the link between the Trendnet and the Westell.  Devices (not the routers) on one network cannot see devices on the other.  This also creates a double NAT network between the Trendnet devices and the internet.  Usually not a problem unless your running servers or doing other advance networking stuff.  VPN clients should work, but they could have problems.

You can avoid double NAT mode by disabling the DHCP server in the Trendnet or setting the Westell to bridge mode.  If this is starting to be more confusing than trying to figure out why toast always lands butter side down, then don't worry about it unless you find some of your stuff isn't working right.

If you've misplaced the user guide for the Westell, mighty Google located it for us:

http://www.westell.com/docs/support-documents/327w11_06_ug.pdf

Chapter 7 tells you how to login to device if you need this info.

Section 12.4 tells you how to configure wireless; the key point being the setting to turn it off.

Appendix B discuss the toastability of different types of bread.

Good Luck!

hondagirl2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just one more question and I'll bother you no more...

What about buying a stand-alone modem to go with the Trendnet?  Do they even exist anymore?  Any suggested hardware on that end?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

As how to get the modem into bridge mode, see http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

If you have any questions please ask.

--

You asked if someone still makes stand alone modems.

To that, I can not say for sure but more than likely no.

I am no longer on DSL and I could give you one, but be advised there are only two way(s) to get the Transceiver Statistic (how strong the DSL signal is) with my DSL old modem is.....

-> In summary with a DSL modem like yours, you have more choices/options. <-

--- With my old DSL modem ----

#1 If on Window you must use the tool that is addressed on http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16899

#2 If on Mac, Unix/Linux you must use a tool like what is addresses on http://adslm.dohrenburg.net/linux/linux.php

#3 Then your computer must be connected either:

a) Directly to modem

OR

b) To a networking hub/swtich the is connected between the modem and the RJ-45 WAN port router.

#4 Depending on directly to the modem OR to a networking hub/swtich the is connected between the modem and the RJ-45 WAN port router, how many non bogan IP Address(es) you can have, and the type of connection (Pure DHCP, Pure Static, PPPoE DHCP): You may need to know to tell your computer to use a Static Bogan IP Address.

For example use IP 192.168.1.9 with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 with Default Gateway and DNS Server(s) blank.

#5 If to a networking hub/swtich the is connected between the modem and the RJ-45 WAN port router with only one non bogan / Public IP to get online at the same time, that computer must have two NICs and one of them must be a RJ-45 wired NIC.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might be woundering, what other choices besides:

#1 Driectly connected to modem

#2 To a networking hub/swtich the is connected between the modem and the RJ-45 WAN port router (required only a the modem combo has one RJ-45 LAN port. Please note your DSL modem has four RJ-45 LAN ports)

with a modem combo, do you have.

Answer......

#1 First things first, you do not need to download / Install extra software. 🙂

All is needed is a web browser as long as the modem combo has a web based UI and you have a web browser on your computer.

OR depending on the modem combo ( Please note: Not for/with the modem combo that you have 😉 ) All is needed is a telnet client as long as the modem combo has a command line UI and you have a telnet client on your computer.

#2 The RJ-45 WAN port router has the option in it.

a) DD-WRT for example, you can enter special commands into the web based UI of the RJ-45 WAN port router and all you have to do is make sure that the two routers are in two different subnets and then you have access.

For example by two different subnets: Modem at 192.168.0.1 and RJ-45 WAN port router at 192.168.1.1

I point to dd-wrt.com -> Community -> Wiki -> Tutorials (Basic and advanced configuration tasks for your router) -> Access To Modem Configuration

Direct Link http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Access_To_Modem_Configuration

b) Tomato by Shibby - http://tomato.groov.pl/ then in the UI at Basic -> Network, there is an field option called Route Modem IP where you type in the LAN IP Address of the Modem, after applying the option, if two different subnets, you have access.

c) Please note: I am pretty sure this is not limited to only third party firmware like DD-WRT and Tomato.

#3 Modem setup so that it does not handle public IP but has a LAN IP (192.168.100.1)

b) Primary RJ-45 WAN port router configured to handle public IP (999.888.777.666), DHCP Enabled on LAN (192.168.1.1 first IP from router 192.168.1.100 and last IP from router 192.168.1.200) and has a route table entry that is in this format:

Subnet IP: 192.168.100.0 (the subnet of your modem)
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.2 (the IP address of the secondary router on the LAN)

c) Secondary RJ-45 WAN port router configured to handle a WAN IP that is in the same subnet that the modem combo uses (192.168.100.2) with LAN IP (192.168.1.2) in the same subnet as the primary RJ-45 WAN port router.

OR in words what is addressed in »Re: Access to modem combo while in bridge mode but without a networking hub/switch connected to the modem because the modem combo has a built in switch in it.

#4 Modem setup so that it does not handle public IP but has a LAN IP (192.168.100.1)

b) RJ-45 WAN port router has two WAN ports. One WAN port is configured to handle public IP (999.888.777.666) and the other WAN port is configured to handle Private IP with the same subnet of the modem (192.168.100.2).

#5 Modem setup so that it does not handle public IP but has a LAN IP (192.168.100.1)

b) RJ-45 WAN port router configured to handle Private IP with the same subnet of the modem (192.168.100.2).

c) But in the meantime, can not access the net at the same time. 😞

#6 If the modem combo had only one RJ-45 LAN port and if you are on PPPoE, I have heard/read...

»[modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connected?

a) Notice how the OP Starts in that thread.

b) And notice the answer to question without adding more hardware (ex a hub/switch between modem combo and router), without loading DD-WRT/Tomato, without changing to Static IP with-in the same subnet (PC OR Router Level) - the post by wayjac See Profile(user #544732)

Direct Link: »Re: [modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connect

0 Likes
hondagirl2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yikes, much more complicated than toasting bread.  All these numbers and letters hurt my head.

I think I will take your advice and try to use the Westell as a bridge to my shiny new router, probably tomorrow.

Thanks for all the links and instructions and patience.  I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Likes