How to get Actiontec WCB3000N to extend network instead of creating own network?
m289
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a FIOS Quantum Gateway G1100 router connected via coax to Verizon's equipment. I picked up a WCB3000N on ebay. I plugged the coax that is usually connected to a STB to the WCB3000N. Once powered up, after a minute or two, all the lights are on. But rather than extending the existing wireless network running off the G1100, the WCB3000N seems to be creating its own wireless network (named "FIOS", while the G1100's network is "FIOS-WXYZ".

How can I get the WCB3000N to extend the existing wireless network?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to get Actiontec WCB3000N to extend network instead of creating own network?
m289
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got it working.

First step was performing a factory reset of the WCB3000N. Once reset, the extender created "Actiontec" 2.4G and 5G networks (since I purchased used, the seller must not have reset the device, so it was using prior user's settings). Disconnecting and reconnecting the extender did not have the effect of extending the G1100's wireless network, and the extender was still driving two "Actiontec" wireless networks.

I then used the WPS feature to connect the extender to the G1100: With both devices connected to coax and powered up, press and hold the WPS button on the extender for at least 8 sec. Then within 2min, press the WPS button on the G1100 router. That got the desired result of the WCB3000N using and extending the G1100's wireless network.

View solution in original post

Re: How to get Actiontec WCB3000N to extend network instead of creating own network?
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is from the Guide.

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/internet/fios/network-extender/wcb3000n

Quick Overview

With the WCB3000N, you can provide reliable whole-home wireless coverage to your subscribers. The MoCA or Ethernet-based adapter extends a homeowner’s Wi-Fi network to an area of the home where wireless coverage was previously weak, such as a dead zone in the 2nd floor bedroom or 1st floor family room. Using a wired Ethernet or MoCA connection and offering dual 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios, the WCB3000N offers the best performance around for extending the home’s Wi-Fi network. 

It takes the credentials from your existing Wi-Fi network and creates a second network with the same name. Your devices go from one network to the other, seamlessly.

0 Likes
m289
Enthusiast - Level 3

@TomH309wrote:

It takes the credentials from your existing Wi-Fi network and creates a second network with the same name. Your devices go from one network to the other, seamlessly.

Right, but as I described in the OP, that is not what's happening. It is creating a network with a new name, i.e., a different network.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@m289wrote:

@TomH309wrote:

Right, but as I described in the OP, that is not what's happening. It is creating a network with a new name, i.e., a different network.

I think what you should do is go into the Quantum Gateway Router and change the WiFi SSID to a new name. Something like myfios2_4 and myfios5_0 and guest_1 (I never use a guest network) 

you then access the router you want as the extender, change the SSID to the exact same names. Then try it for connectivity. 

In our our home I use a Netgear extender since I use a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 and it shows up as a “_ext “ under the 2.4 & 5.0 Ghz but it functions perfectly. We use this extender out in the patio/yard areas.

m289
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got it working.

First step was performing a factory reset of the WCB3000N. Once reset, the extender created "Actiontec" 2.4G and 5G networks (since I purchased used, the seller must not have reset the device, so it was using prior user's settings). Disconnecting and reconnecting the extender did not have the effect of extending the G1100's wireless network, and the extender was still driving two "Actiontec" wireless networks.

I then used the WPS feature to connect the extender to the G1100: With both devices connected to coax and powered up, press and hold the WPS button on the extender for at least 8 sec. Then within 2min, press the WPS button on the G1100 router. That got the desired result of the WCB3000N using and extending the G1100's wireless network.

dmwesq
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did the factory reset and then had my two networks from the Quantum Gateway and the two default networks from the WCB3000N. I then followed the instructions for connecting via the WPS method but I still have 4 networks showing, so something clearly is not working with this method.

0 Likes
dmwesq
Enthusiast - Level 3

After much playing around I finally have the 2 devices paired. I had to manually do it, making sure all the settings - in particular the SSID and password (or PSA Key for the WCB) matched exactly. I haven't tested the entire house on both channels for signal strength, but the few upstairs readings I took were significantly better than they were before both devices were paired. 

0 Likes
ActionTecWB3000

How physically are the devices connected?

I want to to use it a wireless extender.... is it possible???

I used the WPS method but when move the WB3000 to another room,,, no internet connection.... like the signal of the original device is blocked. by the WB... my guess

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes