I'd like to update the firmware on my router
steve-11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would like to update the firmware on my router, all I'm getting is the same answer even though it says " how to update the firmware " that's not what you get. It tells you how to upgrade to a new router, no kidding Verizon do we really need instructions on how to spend more money with you, and why does it say what it does then tells you to dump your old router? I pay over $200. a month been doing it a long time stop with the nonsense and mean what you say, Comcast is looking better and better, but in thinking about that place is probably running right next to you in double talk. Someone from Verizon better get back to me soon, my patience is wearing thin with you crooks.

0 Likes
Re: I'd like to update the firmware on my router
jonjones1
Legend

Firmware updates are done from Verizon Fios not from customer request updates.

on routers not of Verizon's use such as a Netgear or TP Link etc. you can always check for a firmware update.

if you are not happy with fios why stay.

i would drop service immediately and get the cable internet. But I am sure you would complain about them as well.

some people just like to complain. That is what keeps tech support in business 😀

steve-11
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are absolutely correct some people do enjoy complaining, but you guys need to be more understanding when a customer complains that's been paying over $ 200.00 a month, Verizon wants to charge more for a router instead of updating the junk they provide.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@steve-1 wrote:

You are absolutely correct some people do enjoy complaining, but you guys need to be more understanding when a customer complains that's been paying over $ 200.00 a month, Verizon wants to charge more for a router instead of updating the junk they provide.

I don't gripe you for complaining but you state you want a firmware update but what Verizon sends you is instructions on getting a newer router.

i don't know what router or version you are using. I know that Verizon has taken two of their devices out of service if what I read at another site is accurate. 

Normally you would call 1-800-VERIZON and select tech support and ask the representative to run a diagnostic on your router, they then see it needs a firmware update and they push it out to you.

you may also use your own router in place of the Verizon branded action tech or Quantum Gateway G1100 so you have choices.

Your reference to cable does not get Verizon moving. So if you are that unhappy then you have the choice to leave.

You spending $200 is not a move to the head of the line for service. Others pay way more and others less.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What specfically are you looking for in a firmware update?

There may not be an update to support what you request (similar to cellphone updates).

Verizon only has certain firmware updates for the ActionTec routers they supply.

CiskoKidd111
Enthusiast - Level 1

Perhaps people would not be asking for a firmware update if your firmware release for the G3100 was not so buggy,  "Looks good to me"

Why would I go back to cable?  Its not the infrastructure that is the issue. Its Verizon's poor track record with there employees and cutting corners to save a buck with customer service.

Ill just config my own router and put this **bleep** in bridge mode, Had no issues with the Quantum.  Verizon has quality service I cannot deny that but I do not agree with some of there business practices.  But this firmware release is terrible, if it wasn't I wouldn't be combing the interweb to try to fix this garbage.

0 Likes
CiskoKidd111
Enthusiast - Level 1

Id like to change the routers Hostname as well as the local domain for starters.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!