I have a Verizon Actiontec (gt784wnv) modem and wifi won't connect on new computer
Heya1

I recently purchased a new desktop pc for my son that needs to use our wifi. We currently have my laptop, our gaming systems, tablets and phones that also share this wifi signal (not all active at the same time) with no issues of losing connectivity or weak signals. I have a Ralink 802.11n USB wireless LAN card plugged into the computer, but the wifi signal is weak to non-existent and keeps dropping. The tech I am talking to says that it is most likely my router being bogged down by all the wifi devices and dropping the weakest signal. I'm not 100% convinced, because I turned off all of my wifi devices as he suggested and the wifi signal on new computer did not improve at all. He stated that my router should be dual or tri band for multiple users. I cannot find these words in any of the specs for this router. Does anyone know if my router is capable of dual band? If not, can anyone suggest a fix? Whether it is a stronger USB device or even a PCI card, or a newer stronger modem/router.

Additional info if it helps: Sometimes when I turn on computer it doesn't even detect the wifi, so I have to restart it and then it is detectable again. I guess I should also tell you that the new PC is two rooms away from the router (about 40-50 ft away, which I think USB device I have is a 75 ft range), with one of the walls being a brick wall. And I should also tell you that my laptop, phone and tablet all work fine on the wifi when I am in my sons room using them. The modem/router unit is about one month old in use. Not sure if any other info can help diagnose the problem, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

0 Likes
Re: I have a Verizon Actiontec (gt784wnv) modem and wifi won't connect on new computer
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'd definitely try another wireless card if you have one, or at least see if you can find newer drivers for the card to use. That might be all it needs to start working.

The router isn't dual band, but for the sake of things, the wireless in the GT784WNV should be more than capable enough for most networks, especially with a DSL connection.

0 Likes