I lose Internet connection EVERY NIGHT!
Dustoff1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just set up my verizon DSL, 3mb plan, on Feb. 15th. Switched from Comcast. The first two days, I had to reset my Westell 7500 SEVEN times! Now, I lose connection every night around 6 to 7 PM. This also causes loss of my cell phone as I have a Verizon Wireless network extender due to living in a dead zone for cell service. All I get when I contact "support" is a scripted response -- meaningles blather about cordless phone interference -- stuff a 5th grader would ignore.

I'm just about ready to call Comcast and say I'm sorry. Does anyone else have this daily problem, and what did you get as a solution? Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: I lose Internet connection EVERY NIGHT!
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you cancel the Comcast connection yet? Often times when switching ISPs, it's a good idea to have both in the home for a few weeks to make sure that everything goes smoothly first of all, and second of all to make sure the new connection will suit your needs. I've told everyone in my area who is switching ISPs that it is a good thing to do, as minutes of downtime as you move your network over to the new connection is far better than for example, the new connection being down or broken, and the old connection disconnected by the ISP. That would create a nice headache.

As to why the Westell is needing a reboot, the next time your Internet goes down, do not reboot the modem. Instead, visit http://192.168.1.1/ , choose System Monitoring in the navigation, Advanced Monitors from the Left Hand Side Navigation and then choose System Logging. Post up the contents of the "All" log, either via pastebin.com or via Copy and Paste (Pastebin is preferred since it helps to keep the thread tidy looking). Additionally, while the Internet is working towards the evening hours, post up your modem's Transceiver Statistics (found in the Advanced Monitors section as well) which you can Copy and Paste into the post here.

Dustoff1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I just followed your instructions and posted the stats here via pastebin -- when I posted and left the forum the post disappeared. I'll try again. Maybe Verizon doesn't want it seen?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Doubt it. Probably was an error someplace that caused it to disappear. People post up that information all the time. The only thing that might be of concern to the moderators here is the IP addresses that show up in the logs. DNS servers are fine to show, but if you can find your IP address in the log, simply remove it

grrr1

This happens to me everyday!!!  I just switched to Verizon internet last week and I also have the Westell 7500 and our internet has been off more than it has been on.  We barely get to use it because the internet light is always out.  I was on the phone with technical support for over an hour the other day and after I got off it worked fine the rest of the day but the next day (yesterday) it was out practically all day except for a few minutes here and there.  Its really getting frustrating because Verizon is going to expect payment for something that I don't even get to use.  If you find out a solution PLEASE share and let me know.  I have noticed by looking at the different posts that people are having problems with the westell 7500, I'm wondering if that modem might have some sort of defect

0 Likes
gmcauley

We seem to lose our connection several times a day.  We also have a Westek 7500.

When it works, the connection is great (getting 7.6mbs).  I have called Verizon now for four days in a row ...

@Smith6612: What should I look for in the diagnostic log?

0 Likes
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

I've had a Westell 7500 for a few months now, with no problems.  The only times it has had to reboot is after a power failure, which I expect, and when I was intentionally messing around with it.

That doesn't prove that the 7500 is defect free.  I might not be exercising the same functions that you are.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When reading the diagnostic log, look for mention of PPP drops, or of ADSL being "Trained"  and an entry showing your sync speed after a drop. Should clue into where you should look. There might be a lot of Linux-related garbage you have to search through, though if you see anything, mention it.

sawdust4
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, this is my first post on this forum.  I found it because I was looking for info on why the rich interface is gone.  I found this post and I've had the same problem.  I also have a Westell 7500, have had it since obtaining DSL from Verizon.  I also lose connection on a regular basis.  Like some of you, there have been times I have not been able to connect for several days.  I've contacted support many times and they are unable to help.  I've had them send me four new modems over the last year and they all act the same way.  I've asked for a new model of modem but they will not send me one unless I pay big bucks for it.  It seems you need to be a PC repair expert to even attempt to fix it.  I've been told by several private PC repair shops in my local area that the next time the Westell stops working, go to Best Buy and talk to the people there.  Tell them you have Verizon DSL and they will set you up with a new modem that will actually work and you'll never need to reset it.  The Westell modem is a very old modem and there are many better and less expensive wireless modems out there.  Since I live in the boonies and have no cable available, I'm stuck with DSL...and Verizon.  As soon as something new comes along, I'll be jumping ship. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

sawdust, it might be worthwhile to troubleshoot here the issue you're having to see if it really is the fault of the Westell modem or if it's an issue with Verizon's/your home's wiring.

0 Likes