I need Router GT704WGB installation help please!
traluvsfrogss1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just recieved this router and there are no instructions at all! I have a home computer and a laptop. I don't even know where to plug the router into or anything! The phone line is on the opposite side of the room of my home computer, do I have to plug it into that computer? I'm so confused and not very smart when it comes to all this! Can someone please help me or show me where to find help? Thank you!Smiley Happy

Re: I need Router GT704WGB installation help please!
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Plug the ActionTec into the phone line using the supplied cable (one should have been given if this was a new unit out of the box) or a known good-quality cable. Be careful not to plug the phone cable into any of the larger, Ethernet ports. From there, plug the Ethernet cable from your PC into the ActionTec. Connect the Power Adapter and turn on the ActionTec. The desktop should be connected, and as for the laptop, look for a sticker on the bottom of the router that might show what information is used to connect to it, such as the WEP Key and SSID. If there isn't one, we can get that information later.

Within about a minute, the DSL light on the ActionTec should stop blinking and turn solid green. If it has an Internet light, you should see that start to come on solid green indicating a connection. From there, you should either be able to browse the Internet, or proceed with the modem activation wizard. In all honesty, I find it less troublesome to configure the modem manually rather than run through the wizard, so if you want instructions on how to set the modem up manually past the connection part, just ask.

traluvsfrogss1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for helping me! I have another question before I can get started though. It's probably a stupid question, but I really have no clue when it comes to computers and my wonderful hubby won't help me. If my home computer is all the way across the room, and my telephone jack is on the opposite wall, if I don't have a really long phone cord, I'll have to move my desk & computer closer to the wall jack, right? Does that computer have to be connected to the phone line, router, etc... in order to work? I know that's probably really ignorant, I am definitely a blonde, lol. Anyway, again, thank you for your time!

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, the computer must be connected to the router.

This means by:

#1 Ethernet.

#2 Wireless.

#3 Power line networking equipment

Points to http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-network.htm

#4 Phone line networking equipment

Points to http://computer.howstuffworks.com/phone-network.htm

#5 TV cable line networkng equipment ( this is called Moca )

Points to http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-MCAB1001-Coax-Ethernet-Adapter-Black/dp/B001N85NMI

RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

Not necessarily.  If you had a really long ethernet cable, you could locate the router near the phone jack, and run the ethernet cable across the room to  plug into the router.  Or, if you have wireless on your PC, you could set up a wireless connection to the router instead of running a long ethernet cable.

Your PC talks to the router.  The router talks over the phone line to a modem at Verizon's switching office.  That modem talks to the Verizon internet gateway.  That gateway talks to the internet.  Does this make sense?