Re: IPv6 causing 0Mpbs upload speed
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon device speed test can only see the Application Layer of your setup. NIC settings are all the way down to the Link Layer of your setup, of course it could not (and technically infeasible to) detect it.

When techs see an account with an IPv6 address and all of a sudden has speed issues, they should recognize the IPv6 TCP Checksum glitch immediately.

gillette2
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is not entirely true. One of my initial indicators that something was amiss with my Ethernet connection was that the Verizon speed test was only partially working, it would run the router speed test, and then error/time out when attempting to run a speed test on the PC part of the test.

When swapping to WiFi, both parts of the Fios speed test ran fully.  It was one of my confirmations there was something wrong with Ethernet, and I was then able to further troubleshoot that IPv6 was the cause.

Without either disabling IPv6 or changing the Checksum setting, most sites would start to become slow or error out, the Fios Speedtest being a good indicator there was something wrong because it would work at router level but not PC/Ethernet level.

0 Likes
SoNic671
Enthusiast - Level 2

This just happened to me. Yesterday I had turned on the IPv6 and it was OK. Today I was at the desktop and I had all kinds of issues.

Then I saw this post.

My NIC is Intel I210 Gigabit Network Connection. I have another one in my Dell, an Intel 82579LM, maybe I'll try that one...

LE: It seems that the 82579LM is not affected too.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

According to the Intel technical advisory back in 2017, this sounds about right as both products are listed in the affected products. You can follow their "Recommended action" for a temporary fix. For a real fix you need to replace the affected NIC or the motherboard that contains the affected NIC.

imageIntel Technical Advisory

PrestonK

I can confirm that this just happened to me overnight. 

I have a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Mobo and it utilizes the  I219-V NIC

I woke up and noticed that my upload speeds were < 1 when running a speed test.  Disabled Firewalls, VPNs, reinstalled drivers, but nothing resolved my issue.  When switching to WiFi my speeds were what I expected them to be.  Tested the cable on another laptop to rule out any sort of hardware issue.  I stumbled upon a reddit thread with a solution of disabling IPV6 in the network adapter which worked.  I re-enabled it and the speeds went back to being <1 mbps.  

I tried the Powershell script in this thread which resolved the speeds when running a speed test, but Youtube videos and other similar things were still not loading properly.  I went back to disabling IPV6 and all is well.  Wouldn't mind another solution besides disabling IPV6 or updating my MOBO 🙂

Hope this helps someone at least because it was driving me crazy for the day.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Look, checksum offloading is a hardware feature. If it has an issue, it is a HARDWARE issue. Firmware only modifies the software and does nothing to hardware. So to fix this issue once for all, these affected adapters need to be replaced one way or the other.

OR get a cheap 2.5GbE RTL8156B dongle and call it a day along with a link speed upgrade.

gillette2
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a shared issue with poor communication from Verizon.  They pushed this out and the average person would have no idea why their internet speed went to zero.  It doesn't matter what the issue is, it matters how it was caused - the IPv6 rollout. 

We can only hope people find this thread or others like it to get informed on how to get a resolution.

0 Likes
stoggy1
Enthusiast - Level 2

This did not work for me. 3 routers later and I went from great wifi to crap upload on the wifi to 0 upload. The only way I can get good internet to my PC is via the wan port and nothing else. Not the wifi ports or Lan ports and Tech just shrugged his head and said "test fine on my phone" and left.

I am not in the slightest please with this situation. I went from having amazing internet and a great wifi to garbage and nobody seems to know why but my issue is identical to people in here complaining as of july 2022

0 Likes
stoggy1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've found it. It just didn't solve the problem. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cang_Household wrote:

Look, checksum offloading is a hardware feature. If it has an issue, it is a HARDWARE issue. Firmware only modifies the software and does nothing to hardware. So to fix this issue once for all, these affected adapters need to be replaced one way or the other.

Only true for these particular models of Intel Ethernet chips.  There are many networking chips that use firmware to control data flows and process packets.  Those chips can have issues like this resolved with a firmware upgrade.  Without reading the full data sheet for one of the Intel chips, I can't tell how the checksum function is performed; but I have worked with plenty of other chips that do work like this in firmware or a combination of firmware with low level hardware calculators.