Re: IPv6 expanding! FINALLY!
demonbane

IPv6 is live in Flatiron/Gramercy now

0 Likes
IPv6 on and working by default with CR1000A router
Delbert_M
Enthusiast - Level 1

Old thread, but new information.

Last month I reworked my Fios service (dropped video and increased Internet speed).  Part of the change was Verizon sending me a new router to replace the 14 yo Actiontec I had been using.  The new router, a CR1000A, arrived at my home in northern VA and I had a bit of a surprise.  IPv6 was enabled by default on it.

I played around with SLAAC vs DHCP for handing out local addresses.  Due to limitations on some other devices on my network, it appears that SLAAC is the only viable option.  Makes for very long addresses, but oh well.  Even with the default settings, I started seeing routable addresses on many devices on my home network.

The only issue I've seen so far is that the router only uses the IPv4 address as a DNS server.  To use DNS over IPv6, I ended up manually configuring DNS on my PC with both an IPv4 and and IPv6 address.  Also added the Google DNS servers as a backup just in case.  As for what IPv6 address to use for DNS, I'm currently using my assigned prefix (four sections of four hex digits) followed by "::1".  This is the same address that was auto-configured but for some reason was not used by default.  This could be a Windows flaw.  The public address may bite me if Verizon ever changes my prefix.  Have since tried the link local address that I see for my gateway (using "ipconfig /all") which should be persistence even if my prefix changes.  That appears to work just as well, so I'll stick with it.

Most major sites appear to be on IPv6 now.  Google, Facebook, and Yahoo (just for a few quick tests) all return IPv6 addresses with "nslookup {dns-name}".  Even a simple command like "tracert dns.google" prefers IPv6 now.  Because of that preference, a majority of my Internet traffic is going via IPv6.  You can see that by running "netstat -s" and looking at the first couple of sections of output.  As of right now, based on packet counts, between 2/3 and 3/4 of my inbound traffic is coming in via IPv6.

From what I've read, IPv6 has shown to be a bit faster than IPv4 (despite the larger packet header) due in part to easier routing and no need for address translation.  Considering that IPv6 has been talked about for over two decades, it is nice to see it finally coming into broader use.

Re: IPv6 expanding! FINALLY!
sydbarrett74

I am in the Richmond area (Midlothian/Bon Air, more specifically). My hardware is a Quantum G3100. Anyone in RVA who has IPv6 connectivity?

0 Likes