Installation fee for Advanced Router
martinb0820
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to the Verizon Web site to check purchasing the $99 Advanced Router to replace the very old router I'm currently renting. I don't have a problem with the old router, but am tired of paying the maintenance fee.

However, when I put the Advanced Router in the on-line shopping cart, a $99.99 installation fee was tacked on, even though the same Web page indicated that this is a self install.

I spent almost 45 minutes on Verizon's chat trying to find out what the installation fee covers. The chat conversation was a complete waste of time; eventually, I was sent a link to an order that was supposed to waive the fee (although the question of what the fee is supposed to cover was never answered), but the order added an additional set top box I didn't ask for, and decreased the "lifetime" DVR discount. I did't proceed with the order.

The phone support line says the wait is > one hour, so that doesn't seem like a reasonable option.

So can anyone tell me if a new ONT is required if I purchase the new modem without changing Internet speed (or anything else)? The current ONT is from 2011; the label says "1-211M-H". I don't think I'd fault Verizon if an ONT upgrade in this instance was a way to no longer have to support ancient equipment. But it isn't clear whether that is what the $99.99 actually covers.

If I upgrade to the latest DVR at some point in the near future, which I believe does require a new ONT, would I have another installation charge at that time?

Does anyone have this information?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Installation fee for Advanced Router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

A new ONT is not required for a router change. You can connect any router you want to the I211MH. That is a GPON ONT and is gigabit capable. 
You have two issues. If you upgrade to the new DVR you will lose DVR for life.  And the $99 Advanced Router is also not compatible with the new DVR. You will have to get the $200 FiOS Quantum Gateway G1100. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

A new ONT is not required for a router change. You can connect any router you want to the I211MH. That is a GPON ONT and is gigabit capable. 
You have two issues. If you upgrade to the new DVR you will lose DVR for life.  And the $99 Advanced Router is also not compatible with the new DVR. You will have to get the $200 FiOS Quantum Gateway G1100. 

martinb0820
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the very useful information. I didn't realize that the latest DVR requires a different router.

One other thing - since the ONT would not need to be replaced, what is the $99.99 installation fee for?