Installation of Actiontec GT784WN !!NOT!!
denbush1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am trying to replaced my Westell 6100G modem with an Actiontec GT784WN, but nothing I do results in a connection to the internet.  Going through automated or manual install fails to get an internet connection.  My DSL light is solid and the downstream and upstream is correctly determined in the setup, the Internet is always connecting when viewing the status page.  I have attempted to call Verizon tech support several times only to be more frustrated after the call than before.  The last individual kept telling me he could help, but that is about all he could do.  Kept asking me when was the last time I had talked to someone on my telephone.  Hello, I am talking to you now on my telephone.  Asked if I had an iPhone, which has nothing to do with installing the modem.  Anyway, I have tried the username and password from my 6100, my Verizon online login, my Verizon.net email.  All without any success.  I have rebooted the modem and tried it from scratch multiple times.  I have reset the modem to factory and tried everything again.  About to just send the Actiontec back and start looking for other internet services. Can anyone help?  What PPP username and password should they be needing?  Everything else seems to be the same as the original 6100.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Installation of Actiontec GT784WN !!NOT!!
denbush1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks everyone.  I am sending the modem back.  No combination of uername or password works be it my Verizon online user/pass, my current modem user/pass, my verizon email user/pass.  Don't know whether it is Verizon or my modem.  So I will first try another modem. 

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tampadude

is your phone cable in good condition? the ligtest damage in cable might ostrucrt your DSL to work. Was the new nmodem box supplied by Verizon?

0 Likes
denbush1
Enthusiast - Level 2

DSL works with the old modem, just have to reboot it every day or so.  New modem is not supplied by Verizon.  Needed N wireless and Verizon only has G.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As long as you're not in one of the few areas that requires DHCP connectivity, your PPPoE login information should be the same thing you use to check your Verizon e-mail or to manage your Verizon account, aka the "Master Account" login credentials. It's the same thing the Westell modem uses to connect up.

0 Likes
denbush1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks everyone.  I am sending the modem back.  No combination of uername or password works be it my Verizon online user/pass, my current modem user/pass, my verizon email user/pass.  Don't know whether it is Verizon or my modem.  So I will first try another modem. 

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
dslhelp

Had a similar problem with the router I purchased on ebay.  FInally noted on verizon the way to do a hard reset.  When you follow these instructions, when you log on to 192.168.1.1 you will have the opportunity to set your own password.

Important  to hold the reset button for the 30 seconds.  Did not reset when I just pressed,

Press the reset buttton with a paperclip for 30 seconds.  Turn off the modem for at least 20 seconds.  Turn back on and reboot your computer.  Worked for me.

0 Likes