Intermittant Google, FaceBook Access
n0rthernlights

We've had Verizon hi-speed residential DSL for approx. 3 years.  Within the last several months access to FaceBook and Google products can suddenly cease on some PCs/Macs but will be fine on others.  The problem does not occur on any one particular PC/Mac but is shared by all.  All other web browsing is fine.  Rebooting the computers or the wireless modem does not clear up the problem.

We have the Actiontec GT704WG wireless DSL router/modem configured for both wireless and Ethernet access.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittant Google, FaceBook Access
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google's been having this problem for me lately since Sandy on certain connections and I'm almost certain it's some datacenter trouble going on or transit issues that are lingering.

You may want to try changing your DNS server that is being used. It's often a common point of failure for many unreachable websites, as slow lookups can attribute to what may seem to be a time-out (unless the browser explicitly states what went wrong. IE by default does not and some browsers give cryptic error messages that take a moment to interpret). I suggest using the following servers. Pick any two IPs, and insert them into your router or devices you wish to use as a test:

n0rthernlights

Thank you for the info.  Let me give that a try.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks. Let us know how it works out.

0 Likes