Intermittent Connection
the7goonies
Enthusiast - Level 2

My family has been a verizon DSL member for a few years now, we haven't experienced any problems like this before until about 5 weeks ago. 

Modem Used: 6100G Westell

Router Used: Linksys Cisco

The internet like comes on and stays solid which makes our internet connection good. However, it goes off and on (either by the light turning completely off or the internet light blinks). I recognize this that it's not a router problem (even if it was, I understand the changing of router channels and frequencies, etc). Usually it happens during the nights, but lately we've been experiencing problems with it earlier and earlier during the daytime.

I have read other topics on these forums, which all seem identical, so I have the Modem Logs (red and black firmware) as well as the Trans Logs.

Modem Logs: http://i55.tinypic.com/jtucsy.png

Trans Logs: http://i55.tinypic.com/10idys4.png

We have contacted Verizon through the phone, and it's obvious that they are completely no help at all. They did however send us a new modem, which didn't change anything. We also disconnected, reconnected, moved our house phones around, tried new cables to the modem, directly connected the modem to the computer and not the router, etc.

Reading from the other topics, people keep asking to connect it to a NID. I have no idea what that is.

Basically ran out of ideas, hopefully someone on here can help or else we're not going to keep paying for service that we barely receive.

Thanks,

Nick

Re: Intermittent Connection
chuye
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah...this is a great description of what we are going through. I also have been a member of Verizon DSL for

a few years and I am also have intermittent connection. This is my experience. I check a video at YouTube and it would

play for a few seconds and then the router would stop blinking. I would click the reload button to continue. Now I just noticed

that there's no need to click reload because the connection would start and stop for like one minute. Then start again. And

the speed it not that fast. Only like 30-50 speed instead of the usual 80-90 speed. Do you think it could be because Verizon

is using the DSL lines to provide telephone services to the new Apple ipones? They messed up the phone lines and put

the apple iphone first since they are now the new iphone provider. It's just a weird coincidences that the internet speed

and connection is not the same at the same time they take over for the iphone. I live in Duarte, California by the way.

0 Likes
Verizonhater3
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have had this problem for over a year; our Verizon internet service goes out several times a day. Our DSL connection remains on. I have been on the phone with Verizon many times; each time, we were told that our line is fine and they can't help us. The last straw was December 23, 2010 when, after being transferred from tech support to customer service for three hours, and was conned into another "high(er)-speed internet" two-year contract, I gave up; I filed a complaint with the FTC and told Verizon; miraculously, our service improved without any disruption for about a month. Well, now it's back to the same connection problem, going out several times a day. My husband and I both work remotely and need an internet connection to work. I'm no longer paying Verizon for a service I'm not receiving. I am about to file a complaint with the FCC (which is the appropriate government agency regulating internet providers). I suggest everyone else who's having this issue do the same: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm. Maybe whatever Verizon is doing (or not doing) will get resolved.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Can you provide your modem's complete log via a Pastebin for us to see? The image you posted above doesn't show much besides typical DHCP activity. I don't see any signs of line trouble in your Transceiver statistics, which are good enough to support a 3Mbps connection.

To the mention above about iPhones and such, the cellular networks are fed off of towers either running off of T1 links, Fiber Links, or are done via Microwave links. I doubt they are the cause of the issues you are having, despite the possibility still being real if they travel down the same core network.
Rick1211

My business is completely out and our POS System does not work... I could stand to lose so e serious money here...!!!!

0 Likes
the7goonies
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:
Can you provide your modem's complete log via a Pastebin for us to see? The image you posted above doesn't show much besides typical DHCP activity. I don't see any signs of line trouble in your Transceiver statistics, which are good enough to support a 3Mbps connection.

To the mention above about iPhones and such, the cellular networks are fed off of towers either running off of T1 links, Fiber Links, or are done via Microwave links. I doubt they are the cause of the issues you are having, despite the possibility still being real if they travel down the same core network.

Not sure what you mean about Pastebin. Please explain? Isn't that the log? 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Pastebin would be pastebin.com. It's basically a place that comes in handy for pasting of things such as logs (especially on forums where threads don't look nice when lengthy and full of mess).
chuye
Enthusiast - Level 2

You know what...my internet is back and almost back to normal speed. It's going like 65 speed when downloading files. It usually would go like 80-90 speed. I just had to come back and update you all. I did call Verizon to help me set my modem because

I resetted it but that was the day I wrote my first message here. I told the lady...I resetted my modem because the videos keep stopping. She told me how to go on line to reset it. And then I thanked her but I told her, let me check out some videos here

to see if it still stops and go's. And I told her...it is still stoping...maybe I might have like a virus I told her. She said...yeah, maybe.

Then I told her...tell your manger that my internet is stoping and ever since you are now providing iphone services. (so they

can look into it). Any ways, shortly after I posted my message here, the internet doesn't stop like it did...every few minutes.

You know what I also wanted to share with you....My internet also did get disconnect at first when we became members.

But I was using a 100 feet telephone line from the garage to my bedroom from the phone line to the modem(because my phone

line is in the garage...two phone lines...one for our house and one for dial up). Any ways, maybe that could be one of the reasons why some of you get disconnected. The phone line needs to be very short...only like 3-5 feet from the modem to the phone jack.

0 Likes
Erilaz
Enthusiast - Level 1

CC from http://forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-DSL-and-Dial/Connectivity-Issues/m-p/279229/highlig... :

DC area checking in. Also having connection problems for the past week or so. Westell 7500, 1.5-3.0MB DSL. Gateway router is connecing at around 400K up/down and sometimes not at all. I'm a network engineer so yeah, I've been through all the usual troubleshooting procedures. Direct ethernet connection, wireless off, logged into the gateway (192.168.1.1.) to see what's going on. Lots of router reboots and no firmware upgrades available, at least not that I can find. From other forum posts, Verizon pushes firmware changes to these Westells automatically but it's still on ver 5.01.00.02 which is what it's been since I got it about 6 months ago.

Had a tech show up a few days ago and he did something in the building phone closet, which got it back to normal, but he didn't say what was going on. They aren't putting in Fios and haven't done anything recently to the building (supposedly). Line tests showed normal while he was here and that it could even carry faster than 1.5 but was rate limited at the CO. Hmm. Well, the service has been nearly flawless until recently so I didn't push that issue, I was just glad to have my Net back. Yesterday it started connecting slow and dropping again, so I spent a couple hours going through the auto-support gauntlet repeatedly this morning, just trying to get to get to a human voice and reopen the ticket. I resorted to calling the tech dispatch number from the earlier visit - repeatedly, since it was just giving me a busy signal or dropping the call. Guess they're kinda slammed. Finally I got the ticket reopened and another tech scheduled to come back "sometime today". Still waiting on that.

Whatever is going on, it's a mess and Verizon isn't owning up to it. Maybe it's new Iphone traffic and they're pushing core config changes and rate limits in a panicky kind of way. Wouldn't be the first time an ISP wasn't ready to handle a new service. In any case I'm certain the problem is not on my end. If this is resolved (or not) I'll update later.

0 Likes
the7goonies
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:
Pastebin would be pastebin.com. It's basically a place that comes in handy for pasting of things such as logs (especially on forums where threads don't look nice when lengthy and full of mess).

Not sure what you're trying to get me to post. I understand what pastebin is, but moderators keep telling me that the information I posted for the modem logs are unsafe because it gives out personal information. Am I posting something wrong since you're asking for it? Explain.

0 Likes