Intermittent DSL Connectivity over last 9 months, Marshall, VA
Nightshadowon1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Short Version:

Please let me know statistics I can run on my Netgear or computer to provide you more information.  I have a brand new (refurbished?) Westell 6100G laying around because my last westell broke, but I got the Netgear instead to use.

Here is:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream

Connection Speed 3360 kbps 839 kbps

Line Attenuation 37.5 db 17.6 db

Noise Margin 14.1 db 10.5 db

Long Verzion:

I currently have Verizon DSL 3m download package which I have had for 3-4 years.  Within the last 9 months (give or take a month) I have had intermittent connectivity problems.  Basically the DSL connects and then the modem has to reconnect which takes 1 minute or 2.  Everytime I call customer support I run through the check connections, restart blah blah blah.  They either then send someone out who tells me everything is fine or say there is a problem on their end they need to fix.  A day or two later they then say it is fixed.  Of course it isn't or I wouldn't be here.

I have gone through several DSL modems from Verizon, but I have now gotten my own Netgear DGN3500 router/dsl modem.  My main computer is directly connected to the router/modem.  The router has an Xbox 360, PS3, other equipment that does not always use the internet.  also have a laptop and Wii that use wireless, but again they are not constantly using the internet.  My vice is playing World of Warcraft so some evenings I am playing for 2-3 hours.  When I get an internet disconnect, it just sucks because I get disconnected from WOW also.

My Netgear is directly connected to a phone jack next to my power breakers which in turn is just inside where the NID is located outside.  Technically I am have not tested with the NID, but this is as close as you can get.  I am computer and network inclined so I have replaced the phone cable from the outside to the inside jack with CAT5e.  I also run from the jack to the Netgear with CAT5e.  There are multiple other jacks in the house which I have physically disconnected from the junction inside the house, except for one line which runs upstairs to the kitchen.  I have a DSL filter (which I recently replaced just in case) which then runs to a cordless phone.  The other cordless phones in the house only need to plug in to a power jack.  These are vtech dect 6.0 cordless phones.

I explain all the above because I don't know what else I can do within my house to tell Verizon it is not my problem, I swear the problem is with their line to the house (maybe a mouse chewed on something or rain infiltration -- not that rain causes the disconnects).

I am current running a program called Connection Monitor (I am sick of this so I am going to be using this to request compensation from Verizon for each time it disconnects -- good luck to me on that) that pings Verizon.com every 5 seconds and provides the response time with a date/time stamp.  I started this last night before I went to bed and so far I lost connectivity at 4/14/2011 11:34:14 PM4/14/2011 11:40:03 PM4/14/2011 11:43:58 PM, 4/14/2011 11:47:25 PM, 4/15/2011 7:59:38 AM4/15/2011 8:04:34 AM4/15/2011 8:19:46 AM4/15/2011 10:03:49 AM.

Please let me know statistics I can run on my Netgear or computer to provide you more information.  I have a brand new (refurbished?) Westell 6100G laying around because my last westell broke, but I got the Netgear instead to use.

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: Intermittent DSL Connectivity over last 9 months, Marshall, VA
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It may be worthwhile to test out at the NID, despite everything you've already done to try and isolate the issue. Your line seems to be having trouble maintaining upstream sync, as you're missing some speed. It should be at 864kbps. If you can do this and post up the new Transceiver Statistics you obtain out at the NID, that would be appreciated. From there, we can see if it's an issue with perhaps the run from the NID to the Junction box, or if it's an issue with Verizon that they have to sort themselves. At your distance, some poeple start to see issues with their upstream speed if the line isn't in the best of condition, but you shouldn't be having issues.

Re: Intermittent DSL Connectivity over last 9 months, Marshall, VA
Nightshadowon1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will try that tomorrow and repost. Thanks