Internet Connection Drops at least once a day?
Mrswiky1
We just got the Verizon bundle with phone, dsl and DirectTV. Everything is great; however, our internet connection drops at least once a day, often more. We have the filters set up on all phone lines. The Internet light goes out on the router (westell 7500); but the dsl, wireless and other lights stay on. All is good for awhile after we turn the router off and then back on; but it is annoying as it happens so often. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason, as to when it goes out. Any ideas? I have heard something about a whole house filter instead of just the individual phone line filters, would this help?? Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
Re: Internet Connection Drops at least once a day?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace) will contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from you modem?

Visit http://192.168.1.1/for me and do the following:

1: If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

2: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

3: Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

0 Likes
Mrswiky1

Sorry for the delayed response. I was expecting an email when someone replied to this; but never got one.

Step 1:  I don't have an account with giganews, so I did not do this.

Step 2:

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data PathFAST

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)1790445
Margin (dB)4.914.5
Line Attenuation (dB)69.539.3
Transmit Power (dBm)16.612.4
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't need an account with Giganews to use their Reverse Traceroute tool!

Those Transceiver Statistics are suggesting you're at the end of the line as far as DSL goes for 1.5Mbps. The attenuation is rather high, the margins are low, and you are incorrectly set to FastPath when it should be on Interleaved with those statistics.

If you have access to your NID, I would connect your modem to the NID's test jack to see if there is any improvement in the statistics. This allows us to see if the problem happens to be inside, or if it is due to length or degration of the copper outside on Verizon's end of things. Newer NIDs often have test jacks to plug into, whereas older NIDs often require the wiring of a jack and a manual disconnection of everything while testing. They are often located near your Electrical Service panel or meter.

For more info: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

Post up what statistics you get from your modem at the NID.

0 Likes
Barb2247

I have the same problem. I have to boot my Westell 7500 all the time. Its a bad unit, but they wont send me a new 1 unless I pay for it... Service tech even said that  it seemed to get very hot compaired to other units.  I have a whole house filter. Maybe if I put an ice pack on it, it will keep working. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It helps to ensure the Westell 7500 is standing up on it's side rather than laying flat and low as this allows it to dissipate heat a bit better. There's not too much clearence within the device even though it could be simply passively cooling itself just as well regardless of the orientation.

If your Westell 7500 is overheating and requiring a reboot, I would address the current location of the modem to ensure it isn't in an already warm spot (eg; in an enclosed shelf where the computer is located, which is not a good place for a computer either) or with other devices sitting on top of the modem. Best to give it some room to breathe.

golfer221

mine also has been dropping out a few times a day I have a westfall router also but an older model I got when I first signed up with Verizon.. I would maybe like to get new one if needed ..I need to turn it off everytime I want to connect then it stays connected till later in the day need to do it all over again??

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@golfer221 wrote:

mine also has been dropping out a few times a day I have a westfall router also but an older model I got when I first signed up with Verizon.. I would maybe like to get new one if needed ..I need to turn it off everytime I want to connect then it stays connected till later in the day need to do it all over again??

Hey Golfer, just for the sake of keeping the thread clean, could you start your own thread in the High Speed Internet forum? I can help you out with this issue in that new thread.

0 Likes