Internet Disconnects After Phone Rings?
TheDialUpKid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey so I have a problem where anytime my house phone rings and is picked up, I end up losing connection to the internet for 30 seconds before it comes back.

All the lights are the router are stable, it's just for 30 seconds, all connection drops on devices and am presented with an DNS problem. Then it comes back. This is bad because I can be in the middle of downloading something and the phone ringing will cause the download to fail. Especially since I only have 10 MBPS so this is a major inconvenience.  

I get DNS errors occasionally regardless but those are fixed by resetting the modem but it's another issue that is persistent. 

My attempts at a solution have been changing the DNS server used on the laptop and on the router but problem still exists.

Have tried changing the channels/frequency on the router but still issues happens. 

The filter that is connected seems to be good but not 100% sure on that.

This issue has lasted for at least a year so it's not a temporary thing that has been going on. 

0 Likes
Re: Internet Disconnects After Phone Rings?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's most likely a problem with the DSL filter(s). 

If you can, the best thing to do is have one filter that feeds all the phones and an unfiltered line that goes to the modem.

TheDialUpKid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmm..that is already the setup I have it now. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Replace the filter.  If that doesn't fix it, replace the modem.

TheDialUpKid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the help. I'll look into that and try getting a replacement modem. 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This issue can also be caused by a high resistance short on the line somewhere, or a bad Half Ringer in your NID. A Half Ringer is a test circuit normally used by Verizon for POTS testing, however it is often known to cause DSL issues when faulty. As for a high resistance short, if you have one of these, you usually have noise on the line or DSL problems which occur outside of the phone ringing. A bad half ringer is likely in this situation.