Internet Dropping (Light Goes Off) with DSL signal (Light is Steady On)
holdtight
Enthusiast - Level 2

Over the past 3 weeks I have had intermittent internet connectivity.  I took the modem outside and connected it to the gray box next to my house.  The problem was the same.  I called Verizon a tech was sent out.  He determined that it was a network problem and nothing was wrong with my house lines.  He made some calls and this seemed to help however the next day the problem returned.  Every 20 min or so I will loose the connnection.  After a while it will reconnect if I do not turn my modem off and then back on. 

I chatted online yesterday with VZ support.  I was told a 24 hour DSL scan would be run and I would recieve an email.  That email never came.  I was called on the phone and was put on hold.  I was disconnected but never called back.  At this point in time I am highly frustrated.  I am considering writing a letter and requesting to be let out of my contract.  I have had DSL for years and never had a problem and never considered changing my service until now.  Any suggestions?

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt Data Path INTERLEAVED
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 2720 448 Margin (dB) 6.9 10.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 50.0 31.5 Transmit Power (dBm) 18.8 11.9

Re: Internet Dropping (Light Goes Off) with DSL signal (Light is Steady On)
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Your line isn't holding the best of stats, which may be a result of your issues (even though DSL is remaining solid). It seems you're on a 12,500ft copper loop according to the modem, which is rather far out to be holding 3Mbps service. Right now your line's downstream isn't even synced up correctly (speed should be 3360) and the upload is only half of what you should be getting.

Have Verizon send a tech out to check their end of the copper loop to see what they can do to either improve the quality of the line or shorten it. Additionally, plug your modem back into the NID and bring up the new Transceiver Statistics, if those aren't already it that you've posted. Lastly, if Verizon is unable to improve the line quality, they either need to set you to the 1.5Mbps/384kbps provisioning or they need to attempt using ADSL2+ on your line to try and obtain a "cleaner" signal. We need to get the line fixed up a bit, or at least running a little cleaner before we can start troubleshooting further.
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

If your DSL light remains steady on, it means that the data link between your DSL router(modem) and the other modem located on Verizon's premises is solid.  Whether this indication is to be trusted or not is something I wouldn't know. 

If Verizon's internet gateway nearest you were crashing or disconnecting  from time to time, you would see exactly what you are telling us you are seeing.   Let Verizon fix that.  If possible, get together with other customers who are having the same issue in order to get Verizon to escalate the issue.

holdtight
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks DBA.  I called today and have a ticket open.  The ticket was sent to the network division.  I will see what comes from it.

0 Likes
holdtight
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Smith.  You have confirmed what I have suspected that my connection/signal is not ideal.  I also suspect it will take some work/money for Verizon to bring everything to standard.  Hopefully this is a result of changes made in the past month and they can remedy it. 

If they cannot then I will get out of my contract and use a different internet solution.  I don' like Comcast but they are my only choice.

I will post more data when I get home.  I live in Baltimore and we are supposed to get a storm so it maybe a few days.

0 Likes