Internet connection speed degrade after approx two weeks.
mk2717
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the FIOS bundle (Phone/TV/Internet) 15/5 service for approximately 20 months and there is a consistent pattern of degradation of service.  I call technical support, spend an hour trouble shooting the service with them (reboot router, power router off and on, reboot PCs, optimize PCs etc.) and then finally they reset equipment at the CO.  Service speeds are returned to normal and life is good.  Then over a period of 2-3 weeks performance degrades back to sub T1 speeds.  I muddle through for a few more weeks till I cannot stand it any longer and then I call again and we spend an hour trouble shooting the issues again.  It always ends the same way.  I have had my router replaced 3 times and my DVR replace 4 times since I started the service.  And still the performance continues to follow the same path.  I am convinced the problems are NOT with my router, PCs or inside wiring but with the equipment in the ground and at the CO.  Technical support while difficult to reach and tedious to work with is always able to get service restored (given enough time).  However I have grown tired of all the hassle associated with the service and I am shopping for alternatives.  If anyone has helpful suggestions, I would love to hear them since having an ongoing relationship with technical support is NOT what I was expecting when I subscribed to the service. 

Mark,

Re: Internet connection speed degrade after approx two weeks.
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I would call tech support back and ask for a supervisor. Then explain the issue to them. They should be able to go back in the notes and tickets on the acct and see that each time the problem presents itself that it is a network issue that gets corrected. Once they see the pattern, they should be able to contact the local CO and have one of the CO techs take a look at the gateway router or what ever equipment they are rebooting to fix the issue.

The front line agents that you normally deal with dont see the back end systems and always focus on the equipment at the customers premise. You need to speak to someone who can talk to the network technicians and take a look at the back end systems. You wont be able to do this personally but you should be able speak to a supervisor and get the ball rolling. Hopefully, you'll get someone that will understand and contact the proper office.

Re: Internet connection speed degrade after approx two weeks.
hracer
Contributor - Level 2

FYI: There is not CO office they call. That is a DSL term/process. Ok. First we need to know what is the last device that fixes the issue temporarily!? I see that your PC and Router have been rebooted and the PC Optimized. Do they reboot your ONT? This is the main box that the Fiber cable connects to from outside. Also if the router has been replaced, then it is not that obviously. Does this happen to more then one PC? If this is happening on ALL PCs at the prem. Are you using wifi from your PC to the router or ethernet? Also I assume your router connection to the ONT via a coax connection. If not you can connect one PC direct to the ethernet cable that connects to the ONT. If you can do this, then you can confirm it is on the outside to the Verizon network on. If your router connects via coax to the ONT, then try to move the router to another location. If the coax line has a poor signal to the router, then a reboot of the router will only clear the issue temporarily and the degrade start over again. I see that your DVR has been replaced. This is also an indication that a poor coax signal is the possible cause. A Network technician will only check the network status and confirmed provisioning. It is hard to prove it is a network issue if you are connected via coax from your router. If you can connect to the ethernet port on the ONT, and call tech support, then this will help isolate the issue for you and get a better result from Verizon. Keep in mind that the ethernet port needs to be enabled if you  can do this. Call tech support and they can switch it. Hope this information helps.