Internet light off on modem
jollyjeepers

I had Internet service installed for my dad who lives in PA.  I live in VA.  He doesn't have a computer or know how to use one.  We had the Internet installed for him to access Internet radio and Netflix. 

He had two power outages last night.  The modem came back on, but the Internet light never did.  He called Verizon Customer Service number today and they had him go through turning the modem off and on again with no success.  They told him he would need to get on his computer and they would walk him through this.  He explained that he did not have a computer.  They told him that they could not help him if he didn't have a computer.  He called back  again after calling me and asking for help.  He asked for someone to repair this and was told they didn't do that and couldn't help him without a computer.  They told him he'd have to borrow one if he wanted his modem fixed! 

What else can be done?  This seems insane to me. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Internet light off on modem
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do not know for sure, but let me try to help.

What does he use to listen to Internet Radio and use NetFlix?

For example: A Wii

Please note I am not saying a Wii can be used for both of those task.

0 Likes
Re: Internet light off on modem
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon shouldn't need a computer, but anything with a web browser is all that is needed to fix this sort of issue. Game consoles, tablets, and phones all come with them these days. It's just a matter of support and the call of duty.

As this is related to a power outage, how far away is he if you happen to know from the Verizon remote "box" or otherwise the Central Office? If he's coming out of a remote because he's several miles away from the Central Office, I might venture to say it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider checking with the neighbors to see if their DSL is working. It's likely that if he comes from a remote, that the remote is in a state where it does not actually have connectivity or is misconfigured back to Verizon as a result of the outage. It could also be a bad line card, since most remotes only have battery backup on the telephone equipment, not the DSL gear. Normally when I lose power, my DSL will go out because of that fact since I'm served from a remote. It takes Verizon's gear once power is restored roughly four minutes to come online again before my line will train and connect.

0 Likes