Internet only works when Roku is on
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a wierd problem that started recently. If i turn my two computers and TV off for any extended period, (a few hours? I haven't done a time study, but it certainly happens overnight) my verizon modem goes dead, The power button turns orange or red and won't power up when I turn the computers back on and try to access the net. However, if I turn the TV on and set the Roku to one of "my channels" the modem starts up and I get internet.

I am running Windows 7. One computer and the Roku are both hard-wired to the modem (thru the router, which is separate). the other computer runs via WiFi. Modem is Westtell 6100. Restarting the modem does not fix the problem

Has anyone ever run into this situation? Before I call Verizon I would rather have an idea as to what is going on!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet only works when Roku is on
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

Seems to have been fixed by Verizon.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 I point to and quote from [url=http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28666153-]DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband Tech -> Networking -> Modem/router(not in bridge mode) + router[/url] the reply by [b]DSLR user clarknova (#1713475)[/b] on [b]2013-Sep-18[/b] at [b]2:13 pm[/b]

[quote]
There are some good reasons to have a modem bridge rather than route. I can't speak for all modems, but generally speaking:

1. Modems don't have much memory compared to a good router, so open a few sessions from the LAN and watch as connections get dropped, or worse, the modem/router just locks.

2. Modems tend to lack features compared to a good router. Things like QoS, DHCP reservation, VPN, uPNP, static routes, etc get left out. You can provide your own router behind the modem, as you did, but this can lead to other complications, such as

3. Double NAT. Most things can be made to work with double NAT, just as it's entirely possible to assemble a jigsaw puzzle while wearing oven mitts. It takes longer and the probability of making a mistake while setting it up or troubleshooting goes up. Simplicity is a good rule to live by when setting up networks.
[/quote]

#2 Put the modem combo into bridge mode. As how to get the modem combo into bridge mode, you may need to contact your ISP and get help from them...

0 Likes
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Additionally, the link provided gives a 'webpage not found" result. Would it be possible to rephrase the answer in language that elderly non-techies can understand.

0 Likes
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess I forgot to say that I am using Verizon DSL as my ISP. FIOS is not available in our area.

0 Likes
cjjjjj
Enthusiast - Level 3

Seems to have been fixed by Verizon.

0 Likes