Internet randomly drops off for last couple of weeks
eyee

Internet access drops off randomly for last two to three weeks...no problems in past year - solid connection,

possibly a modem reset once or twice a quarter, not a problem..

Westell B90-36R516 DSL modem

Netgear WGR614 4 port Router - Wireless

Less than a quarter mile from the Central Office

Three different Windows PC connected (one wireless to tablet)

Various firewalls and virus tools (AVST, AVG, Superantispyware and Windows) - nothing new added

I can do all the PINGing and Tracert when the line/internet is up, VZ Agent does not tell me anything I do not

know.  Speeds are below 100ms, closer to 58ms typical.  The modem READY light is the real indicator and

I can't do anything about the line quality coming to the house, network box.  Communications and

connectivity with the router not a problem, Windows report connection but hrere is no DSL connectivity. 

Phone service not a problem except I was told by a caller that twice, my line rang once and the line dropped

off before I could answer the phone...one ring, last week..  Not observed phone problems other than that

one time..

Problems encountered on all PC's and devices:

First time - no Internet Service in August, called and they said they replaced a bad line card in the Central

Office Service back later in the day, then working for about a week.

Interminent internet access a week later, internet up for 10-20 minutes and drops off. 

Resetting the modem and router sometimes seems to help, not always.

Called support, they do a line check, no problems and go throught the normal power up/down

modem/rounter   Ran line speed test, 1.5kbs down load speeds, still intermintant access

Can not load a large file, internet goes down and have to reestablish link from router/password. 

Not always work.  Create an email and link is lost while creating email, can't send.

Called again and back throught the reset the modem and router route.  Checked for dial tone on the

DSL phone line with a phone (no filters on the DSL line).  The DSL modem is on its own dedicated line

to the network box, no wiring changes to telephones or modem.  Two hours after the support call on

Tuesday, the DSL line (connection drops randomly)).  

I can tell there is a problem because there is a fast blinking of the READY light on the modem, when the

READY light is on solid, typically not problem, except to make sure the password hand shake is

restablished with DSLAN.  I can't measure signal strength of the DSL line, no tools but when there is

connectivity, there is a strong dial tone.   When there is no connectivity, there is a weak dial tone.  Typically

when I get a weak dial tone or circuit on a voice call, I wind up redialling.  This is not practical in a DSL line.

Not sure how the DSL modem connects back to the CO  Service rep did not know how this all worked.. 

I suspect there is a faulty line back to the CO or the DSL circuit line levels maybe spotty, guessing.  The

times the rep does the line check there is nothing found.  Got a line monitor to monitor the line condition of the

DSL line over time?

For lack of anything else I can try, I replaced the old style clear plastic phone line to the wall with a new one.

Made sure the RJ11 connections to the wall were snug and to the DSL modem.  Currently writing this

post while the internet is up (all modem lights are on solid, no blinking lighs other than the activity light).

What do you have for suggestions how to diagnose the problem and resolve it (other than to recommend FiOS)?

0 Likes
Re: Internet randomly drops off for last couple of weeks
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Go to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7553

#2 Get that tool downloaded onto your computer.

Now, the harder part. (depending on what other hardware you have)...

--

If you have a hub/switch that is not part of a router...

#3 Disconnect the Westell from the Netgear.

#4 Connect the wire from the Westell to the port next to the uplink port of the hub/switch that is not part of a router.

#5 Connnect a wire from the Netgear's WAN/Internet port to any other port on hub/switch that is not part of a router, but not the uplink port,

--

If you have a computer with at least two NICs and the LAN IP of the Netgear is 192.168.1.1

#6 Disconnect one of the wired NICs fron the Netgear.

#7 Setup that NIC to use these settings:

IP Address: 192.168.2.6

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

#8 Connect that NIC to the to any other port on hub/switch that is not part of a router, but not the uplink port OR to any other port(s) in use by the Westell and Netgear router.

#9 Install that Tool that is addressed in the FAQ.

Once installed, don't forget to use ** CTRL-ALT-F7 ** to reveal several "hidden" tabs, the signal levels and error counters, so forth.

#11 In that Tool go to DSL tab.

#12 Please post the info that you see from that tool.

---

If your computer only has one NIC and it a wired NIC.

#6 Disconnect  of that wired NICs fron the Netgear.

#7 Setup that NIC to use these settings:

#8 Connect that NIC to the to any other port on hub/switch that is not part of a router, but not the uplink port OR to any other port(s) in use by the Westell and Netgear router.

#9 Install that Tool that is addressed in the FAQ.

Once installed, don't forget to use ** CTRL-ALT-F7 ** to reveal several "hidden" tabs, the signal levels and error counters, so forth.

#11 In that Tool go to DSL tab.

#12 Get the info fron that tool.

#13 After you get that info...

a) Close out that tool.

b) Disconnect your computer from the hub/switch that is not part of a router.

c) Change the computer settings to use DHCP.

d) Connect the computer to one of the Netgear's LAN ports.

e) Please post the info that you saw from that tool.

---

If you don't have a hub/switch that is not part of a router:

#3 Disconnect the Westell from the Netgear.

#4 Setup that NIC to use

#5 Connect the computer to the Westell.

#6 Install that tool that is addressed in that FAQ.

#8 In that Tool go to DSL tab.

#9 Get the info fron that tool.

#10 After you get that info...

a) Close out that tool.

b) Disconnect your computer from the hub/switch that is not part of a router.

c) Change the computer settings to use DHCP.

d) Connect the computer to one of the Netgear's LAN ports.

e) Please post the info that you see from that tool.

If you have any questions, please ask.

0 Likes