Internet speed as slow as molasses
fedup88

I am really tired of 200+ pings and download speeds of 0.26 Mbps and upload speeds of 0.67 Mbps.

0 Likes
Re: Internet speed as slow as molasses
fedup88

0 Likes
fedup88

This is what I pay for.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What modem are you currently using from Verizon?

Are the speeds always this low regardless of the time of day?

Are these speed tests being performed while no other device or program behind your connection is consuming data?

0 Likes
fedup88

I have an Actiontec Model GT784WNV.

The slow speeds happen when I get home from work and no other connections using it, heck I might as well have Dial-Up, even if the speeds are better earlier in the day....who cares? I need it to work properly now...at this time.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Understood.

Please do me a favor and post your modem's Transceiver Statistics. I want to see if the line itself is sound, and perhaps could support additional speed once we can get this congestion issue sorted out. To start, do the following:

Visit http://192.168.1.1/

Log into the modem using one of following usernames and passwords, if you have not changed it:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/verizon

admin/verizon1

Once in the modem, click on Status. Then, click on "DSL Status" or "WAN Status."

A page should appear with information such as Attenuation, SN Margin, and your speed. Please post the contents of this page, removing information such as your IP address, MAC Address, or your PPPoE username.

0 Likes
fedup88
VPI: 0 VCI: 35 Broadband Mode Setting: ADSL2+ Broadband Negotiated Mode: ADSL2+ Connection Status: CONNECTED Downstream Speed: 7611 Kbps Upstream Speed: 863 Kbps Retrains: 0 Retrain Timer: 1 Days, 1H:40M:18S ATM QoS class: UBR Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 8 Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 5 Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A 30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 190 30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A 30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0 30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0 Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0 Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A 30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 9460 30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A 30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 0 30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A 30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0 30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0 SNR Downstream : 15 dB SNR Upstream : 13 dB Attenuation Downstream : 40 dB Attenuation Upstream : 20 dB Power Downstream 17.5 dBm Power Upstream 12.2 dBm
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not seeing a whole lot that is noteworthy in those stats. It is good that you are on a 7.1Mbps provisioning rate and it is showing properly.

At this point, we need to have Verizon check for congestion, and fix it. The fastest way is to determine if your regional edge router is congested. Verizon can do a quick fix that only takes a minute to complete, which involves moving you to a new router. Another fix, which often takes more time to repair is to look at the DSLAM and determine if the congestion is present there. Typically, any utilization of 80% and beyond will result in degraded speeds and packet loss, increasing in severity the closert to 100%. 

It will be difficult to get phone or chat support to acknowledge this problem. Ask them to check the two points I mentioned above. If they give you a hard time, let me know and I'll get you to someone who can help. Oh, and if you have any neighbors seeing the same problem, they should report the same issue.

If all Verizon wants to do is drop your speed, then I have some not-so-nice recommendations for that.

0 Likes
fedup88

Hello Smith6612

Not sure if i am getting the run around, just spoke with Verizon and they told me the engineers are working on a problem in my area. I told them of your two solutions and fell on deaf ears. They told me to wait 24 - 48 hours. Here is my speed test at 8am this morning.

Here is 8pm

I need help!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like the standard runaround to me. If they'te telling you that there is a problem, they need to explain what it is. Would the problem be a Fiber cut? Is it congestion? Did a blade on a router go belly up?

Did the agent even open a ticket for you, give you a ticket number, and continue to keep it open until the problem was confirmed to be resolved?

It's not good to leave someone guessing. Try again, if you get the runaround again I will just have someone else look at the problem for you.

0 Likes