Is 50/50 only service in new construction developments normal?
devsfan18301
Enthusiast - Level 2

Moving to a new home next month. Home was just finished last week and the road is so new it doesnt appear on any maps though utilities (Gas, electric, FIOS ordering) seem to recognize the address. Stil, I expect mail or deliveries to be a pain for a while. If i enter other addresses on a nearby road that does appear on the map they show gigabit support. I dont need that but I was hoping for 150/150. However, all Verizon will give me right now is 50/50. Has anyone else had this happen and did speed offerings improve as the area matured? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is 50/50 only service in new construction developments normal?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

50/50 may be a "Catchall" plan if they know FiOS is available but don't have information in the qualification database for how many 1Gbps customers are on a PON node. Verizon only provisions so many 1Gbps customers per PON since GPON is limited to 2.4Ghz down, 1.2Gbps up across 16 to 32 ONTs (Depends on the split configuration in your neighborhood). Typically, once service is installed, you'll be able to go in and upgrade online. All new ONTs should be GPON and all new installs should be Ethernet to the router, which gives you everything needed for a future upgrade to Gigabit.

The tech when they come to install may be able to work some magic to get you the Gigabit pipe, or whatever speed you're looking for.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

The other question is “is their cable broadband available in that area” 

you see Verizon if not faced with direct competition will do as they will. However if there are state regulations governing their business practices you will see the speeds at higher price points. If right now gigabyte internet is going for $69.99 (no taxes on internet only) there may be a bogus fee added on like in NY but don’t take any contract.

if you are going to pay more than above for 50/50 I would shop to cable.

you might want to mention the cable price for broadband and see if they can find the service for you 😀

0 Likes
devsfan18301
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks but FIOS is my only option right now. Comcast is nearby but not built into my new neighborhood yet.  The community is built in phases. The first phase homes, which have at least all be there long enough to show up on maps, all get offers for all ranges up to gigabit for FIOS when I enter in their addresses. My street literally did not exist 2-3 weeks ago. So my theory is that the 50Mbps offer only is due to it being such a new expansion of fiber service. Once the road finishes or as us new homeowners sign up they can determine if the can provision extra capacity. If 50 is all i get, its technically plenty for JUST me. Even without competition I would imagine they'll happily let us pay more for more speed if they determine they can offer it. I'm not even looking to pay for gigabit. My Cox service right now is 160Mbit so I'd take a bump to 150 just fine. Maybe I wont get a great deal on it. But my 2 days away from closing on the home, I'm not going to make FIOS speed a dealbreaker at this point. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Wow that is not good right now. But when they open it up to higher speeds then you can see the pricing. Right now Fios has gigabyte speeds 940/880 for $69.99 without any contracts or early termination fees to new subscribers.

on other forums the pricing is all over the place. In regards to Verizon Fios with existing customers. They are using the cable ploy to get the lower prices. Naturally with buying a brand new home the availability of Fios/cable is a real selling point.

When we purchased our home there was no Fios and we did not get it for two years after my neighbors got it and dropped back to Time Warner due to price increases.

Once their two years of contract was up they did not like the pricing.

We like our Fios and we had 150/150 and after 6 months for $20 more we took the 940/880 gigabyte tier. It’s worth $105 in my opinion.

But if I get {word filter avoidance} off I jump back to Charter (Time Warner)

Hope it all works out for you. ☃️

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

50/50 may be a "Catchall" plan if they know FiOS is available but don't have information in the qualification database for how many 1Gbps customers are on a PON node. Verizon only provisions so many 1Gbps customers per PON since GPON is limited to 2.4Ghz down, 1.2Gbps up across 16 to 32 ONTs (Depends on the split configuration in your neighborhood). Typically, once service is installed, you'll be able to go in and upgrade online. All new ONTs should be GPON and all new installs should be Ethernet to the router, which gives you everything needed for a future upgrade to Gigabit.

The tech when they come to install may be able to work some magic to get you the Gigabit pipe, or whatever speed you're looking for.