Is 7.1 available at my address?
DAMON881

I went to a competitor's website (they provide dsl service over Verizon lines) and their pre qualification informsme that 7.1/768 is available at my current address. I checked my Verizon account to see if they offered it, and the fastest they have available to me is 3.0/768. If 7.1 is available in my area, I'm fairly sure I would be close enough to the CO, seeing that I'm only about 2600 feet from the CO as the crow flies. If I can I'd like to stick with Verizon to get a higher speed service, but I'm not opposed to switching...

0 Likes
Re: Is 7.1 available at my address?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you post your Transceiver Statistics from the modem (if you use DSL), or if you have the last measurement Verizon took of your line, those bits of information are all we need to determine what speeds you could be looking at.

With DSL service providers, speeds can vary. Many will co-locate their DSLAMs in the central office for you to get service, however in some cases they simply resell Verizon's DSL Service. In some cases, this is either based on the company being a reseller, or due to technical limitations that prevent the co-location of a DSLAM.

Be sure to get a qualifcation report of what your line really can do. Most DSL providers use the "Up to 7.1Mbps" or "Up to 20Mbps" langauge as a pre-qualifcation/marketing line. It would truly be terrible if you went into a deal thinking you were getting sold 7.1Mbps but the provider can only give you 768kbps instead.