Is Fios in the breach of contract by upgrading my internet speed without my consent?
VerizonCustomer20

Here is my long story short. I have been a loyal Verizon customer for more than 7 years. I never complained about the quality of service and was perfectly happy with my Double Play 25/25 Mbps Internet and Ultimatum HD.

When my contract expired my rate went up by $10.00, but I didn’t complain about it. Two weeks later a Verizon representative showed up at my door steps and offered a new contract with better internet 50/50 Mbps for less money. I thought why not if I’m not happy I can always get back to what I had before. After he left I have noticed that my TV signal was worse than before with visible pixilation and flat colors. When I called technical support I was told that this can be easily resolved.

Two days later, a technician showed up at my house and replaced my media center and network center…And everything looked great… except my TV signal with visible pixilation.  I immediately called Verizon Customer service and did request to be switched back to my old setup….to my big surprise I was told that it’s only possible if I pay $50.00 more for the same services I had before the switch. Having no choice I did agree to the new terms just for the sake of picture quality I like.

And here comes the catch....last week Verizon did upgrade my Interenet speed without my consent or knowledge....to 100/100 for free...downgrading my picture quality again.

Is Verizon in the breach of contract by changing contract rules without customer consent or knowledge?

0 Likes
Re: Is Fios in the breach of contract by upgrading my internet speed without my consent?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

TV picture and Internet speed have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Verizon doesn’t offer 25/25 anymore so if you changed your package that’s why you speed was upgraded. 

I you have bad picture quality it could be anything from you main FiOS box(ONT), wiring, HDMI cord. There’s is a lot of potential issues. But again the change in your package or internet speed has zero to do with your picture quality. 

0 Likes
Re: Is Fios in the breach of contract by upgrading my internet speed without my consent?
VerizonCustomer20

That is not actully true. The 25/25 Mbps signal was using different algorythm then your new 100/100 Mbps. The new alogorthm is causing pixeleations in old plazma tv sets. If you're not able to provide the old 25/25 I signed for ( not to mention extra $50.00 I pay monthly to recive this) you're in breach of the contract. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. It is true. The video signal travels of the fiber on a different lightwave(1550 nm). The internet uses 1310 and 1490 for upstream and downstream. Video anf Data are completely separate and unrelated. It has nothing to do with “algorithms” and whoever told you that is dead wrong. If you have video issues then it is coincidental. 

VerizonCustomer20

In the last 3 years I was fooled by Verizon at least 2 times to "upgrade" my 25/25 to higher internet speeds like 50/50 or 100/100 and each time I did this picture quality was down with visible pixelation and different color saturation. How can you explain this? 

Not to mention multiple Verizon technical support visits trying to fix this right here at my house. The setup boxes were exchanged, central panel was replaced, signal adjustment  was made, all without visible succes. Verizon has everything on file.

And as soon as my setup was back to 25/25 all problems were gone. 

My contract was signed for 2 years with 25/25 Mbps internet speed and if Verizon is not able to provide this today regardless of the reason Verizon is in the breach of this contract. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

As in verizons terms of services “any material change” would be grounds for the contract to be void. However you must contact them to notify them of the breach.

i would call first and send a certified return receipt letter for why you are leaving their service. Being in a situation like this also must give Verizon a chance to remedy the issue. But it would be grounds to leave.

Now another point to ponder is why would an upgrade to faster speeds be a reason to leave? It would be like offering me more gallons of gas at the gas pump. Yet I understand your concern because of your tv situation.

i would try a higher end HDMI cable, I would if you have the new tv’s place it in the 60 Hrz location in the back of the set. I would change the set top box settings to a higher resolution etc.

then if still not happy then do what you want. Give them a chance to fix it first.

0 Likes
VerizonCustomer20

Well, this is exactly what I did...1.5 h on the phone with Verizon customer service explaining back and forth that my contract says 25/25, I like 25/25, and I want to stay 25/25. I  did not authorize any changes or free upgrates, please get me back where I was....

Today morning my account says.....25/25 + free upgrade 100/100.....I did check my network speed and it is 100/100...

Nothing had changed,  I just wasted my time. Why Verizon is playing this game is beyond my understanding. 

0 Likes
VerizonCustomer20

Finally resolved. Thank you all for help and support.

0 Likes