Is Verizon not allowing connections to alternate DNS servers anymore?
blu221
Enthusiast - Level 1

Last night I ran a DNS benchmark test, and a notice popped up saying my ISP was intercepting and redirecting all outgoing DNS requests. I've been using OpenDNS for a year now without any problems, then I found out last night I am not connecting to their servers, so I tried Googles servers, no luck there either.

I called tech support (several times) and no one could give me a straight answer to my question: Is Verizon not allowing connections to alternate DNS servers anymore? I was forced to switch back to Verizon servers, not happy about that.

Can someone please answer my question? Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon not allowing connections to alternate DNS servers anymore?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm on FiOS and I've got no issues using OpenDNS.  I have the Quantum router set to use it.  Works fine.

I've manually changed DNS on my computer to google's servers.  No problems with this, either.

0 Likes
blu221
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm on dry loop DSL. One support agent told that Verizon has changed their policy for "safety issues" and another one told me there has been no change but others have called in with my same proplem. One said I couldn't use static DNS servers, but I've been doing it that way since I began using OpenDNS with no problems. Yet another one told me that I had to have a business account to use aln alternate DNS server. So, I don't know what's going on, only that I'm not allowed to connect to another DNS server other than Verizon's.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just curious, which test did you use? I'd like to give it a try on my connection.

So far, we don't seem to be seeing this problem here. I use OpenDNS without issues.

0 Likes