Is it possible for me to get a Fios installation under this lease?
Degarmo2

My lease is pretty strict about cable installation. Using the following rules, can I do a Fios installation under my lease?image

0 Likes
Re: Is it possible for me to get a Fios installation under this lease?
jonjones1
Legend

@Degarmo2wrote:

My lease is pretty strict about cable installation. Using the following rules, can I do a Fios installation under my lease?image

First off look at your lease. Secondly if you have doubts about the wording of your lease contact your landlord. No one here can assist on your private matters.

now if the lease allows for Fios you can either call 1-800-VERIZON and ask if it is available at your address.

or go to http://www.verizon.com/Fios and use their online Fios availability checker.

0 Likes
Degarmo2

I added a picture... can you not see it?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Degarmo2wrote:

Not viewable yet.

hopefully it’s not any photo of personal nature with identifying information.

i will look for it later this morning.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Degarmo2wrote:

See it now.

fios can be installed in the basement (ont) then as long as Verizon feeds the coaxial and ethernet up through the walls to your unit there should be no issue.

but will Fios installer run through wall? Probably not. And if you order services then find out later they won’t do it then you are stuck canceling the service.

or they may do it but charge you extra for the work, or you might be able to come to a money arraignment with the installer. I just don’t know what to say.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't see how.

If they can't drill a hole in exterior wall, how can they run fiber to ONT in basement?

And I assume there is an existing cable that has a penetration through the wall to basement. So Verizon could use that, but then they would have no way to mount the ONT on the exterior wall without drilling it.

As stated, I would talk to landlord to get options.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi Degarmod2:

Well worth doing research here 

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/quick-guides/fios-installation.htm

I personally would see if you can get ONT (OPTICAL NETWORK TERMINAL) installed inside , in area where cable goes into structure

0 Likes
Degarmo2

Thanks for all the replies. 

So I’m thinking I’ll have someone fish an Ethernet cable alongside the already existing coax cable and change the wall plate to one with a coax AND Ethernet port.

Once that’s set up, we’ll have the coax and Ethernet cable set up where the wires would need to connect to the modem in the apartment.

My only concern is the ONT, which I would love in the basement but the walls are cement. Would the tech affix a baseboard to install the ONT? Also, how amazing does the outlet have to be? We have a solid one in the basement, but it’s connected to a thick-gauged extension cord across the length of the basement.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No need for a board.

Tech can just drill holes on concrete and use anchors.

Two issues still outstanding:

1) Will landlord allow holes to be drilled in basement wall to mount ONT and power supply?

2) How will tech run fiber in to basement? What you posted stated that no holes can be drilled in exterior wall from outside.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The tech will have to use an existing entrance to your basement. The power outlet must be yours to use.

once it is in and connected then the ethernet will have to be strung through the walls to your unit.

it must not be intrusive per your lease.

0 Likes