Is it possible to monitor traffic from a specific IP address?
NetworkNewbie

I've looked into the router menu, but couldn't find anything that will enable me to monitor traffic from a specific IP address - e.g., a child's computer.

Is it possible? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is it possible to monitor traffic from a specific IP address?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

G3100 does have the ability to log all accepted outbound connections in the Advanced Firewall logs. The logs you get will be granular and only shows the source IP address (the device IP on your network) and the destination IP address (the resource the device requests). You need to use some WhoIs service to reversely translate the IP address back to domain names.

If you are looking for some readily made solutions for monitoring network traffic, you need a router or firewall with deep packet inspection (DPI). If you need gigabit throughput while using DPI on everything, the router needs to be powerful enough and would be expensive.

As a side note, I am not a big fan of using technology to monitor family members or enforce household rules. The kids can also learn networking and circumvent the monitoring through various means.

View solution in original post

Re: Is it possible to monitor traffic from a specific IP address?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

G3100 does have the ability to log all accepted outbound connections in the Advanced Firewall logs. The logs you get will be granular and only shows the source IP address (the device IP on your network) and the destination IP address (the resource the device requests). You need to use some WhoIs service to reversely translate the IP address back to domain names.

If you are looking for some readily made solutions for monitoring network traffic, you need a router or firewall with deep packet inspection (DPI). If you need gigabit throughput while using DPI on everything, the router needs to be powerful enough and would be expensive.

As a side note, I am not a big fan of using technology to monitor family members or enforce household rules. The kids can also learn networking and circumvent the monitoring through various means.