Issues Connecting To Fios Router with Actiontec MoCA Extender
VZFiosUser333

I recently had Fios 400/400 installed and added an Actiontec WCB3000N extender, connected to the house’s coax to alleviate a dead spot in my home.  My phone connects fine to either of the extender’s bands, (‘...2.4g ext’ or ‘...5g ext’) without any issue, but once I connect to the extender, the phone will not connect to the Verizon router, no matter how close I am to it. I have turned off the phone, restarted it, turned off/on the phone’s Wi-Fi, and nothing will allow it to connect to the main router after it connects to the extender.  I also tried pairing the extender to the Fios router with the WPS button, but that didn’t have any effect. Only if I unplug the extender completely will the phone connect to the Verizon router. Anyone have this issue?  Suggestions to remedy it?  

0 Likes
Re: Issues Connecting To Fios Router with Actiontec MoCA Extender
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What's your main router's model? G1100, G3100, or an even older version?

Your phone still connects to the extender because the extender's signal is still visible to the phone near the main router.

You can try to set the wireless SSID and password of your extender same as the main router. This is done by Verizon when setting up G1100 with WCB3000N years ago.

Please reference to this post I answered recently: Using-Actiontec-MI424WR-Rev-1-router-as-extender 

0 Likes
VZFiosUser333

Thanks for the reply! It’s a new installation so I believe it is the latest Fios router- 3100 I think.

I’ll check out your thread - thanks!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have G3100 and WCB3000N? A combination of the newest router and the oldest extender.

Where did you get that WCB3000N? Gifted by Verizon?

0 Likes
VZFiosUser333

No - bought it on Amazon. 

0 Likes
appDev
Contributor - Level 1

only thing i am thinking of is that the extender is still within range of your phone, so it defaults to that one.

Are you saying you cannot choose the main router's wi-fi from the phone at all?

Also, you SHOULD be using the same name and password for your extender - kinda is the purpose of it, so you shouldn't need to switch between two. But for troubleshooting, i'd be curious too, if i can't switch wi-fi networks on the phone - IOS or android(not likely that it matters)?

0 Likes