Jitter
PerfectKiwi

http://www.pingtest.net/result/70429049.png - Link to the jitter result

My internet started to get jitter two days ago. I do not know what caused it, it just happened randomly. Is there anyway to fix it or is something else causing my internet to slow down?

My modem is an actiontec gt704wg.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Jitter
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace) might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't how to get that info from the modem:

a) It would help tp know the brand and model of your modem.

b) If a RJ-45 WAN port router that is connected to the dsl modem, what is the brand and model of the DSL modem?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace) might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't how to get that info from the modem:

a) It would help tp know the brand and model of your modem.

b) If a RJ-45 WAN port router that is connected to the dsl modem, what is the brand and model of the DSL modem?

0 Likes
PerfectKiwi
DSL Status
VPI: 0
VCI: 35
DSL Mode Setting: Auto
DSL Negotiated Mode: G.DMT
Connection Status: ShowTime
Speed (down/up): 3360 / 864 Kbps
ATM QoS class: UBR
Output Power (Downstream/Upstream): 11.9 / 8.0 dBm
Attainable Rate (Downstream/Upstream): 10240 / 988 Kbps
HEC Errors (Downstream/Upstream): 0 / 0
OCD Errors (Downstream/Upstream): 0 / 0
LCD Errors (Downstream/Upstream): 0 / 0
SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 23.1 / 11.0 dB
Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream): 42.0 / 19.0 dB

1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
2 xe-8-0-7.ar1.iad1.us.nlayer.net (69.31.10.93) 1 ms 4 ms 1 ms
3 as2914.ae12.ar1.iad1.us.nlayer.net (69.31.31.173) 2 ms 0 ms 0 ms
4 ae-3.r04.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.5.155) 0 ms 1 ms 2 ms
5 ae-1.verizonbusiness.asbnva02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.8.38) 54 ms 49 ms 49 ms
6 0.ae2.RES-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (152.63.34.22) 50 ms 49 ms 60 ms
7 so-7-1-0-0.BOS-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.85) 67 ms so-7-1-0-0.BOS-CORE-RTR2.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.87) 66 ms 61 ms
8 P4-0-0.BOS-DSL-RTR10.verizon-gni.net (130.81.4.194) 61 ms 70 ms P3-0-0.BOS-DSL-RTR10.verizon-gni.net (130.81.4.190) 68 ms

Also I marked this as solved by accident.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does this jitter persist all day, all night or only during the evening/night time hours? Do you have a Wireless router at your home and have you checked to ensure no other devices besides your own are connected to it, and the connection is secured?

Also, if you do want to uncheck the solution, I believe you just need to go to the Thread options and mark the thread as not solved.

0 Likes
PerfectKiwi

The jitter happens all day, but it happens at times. Sometimes the inteternet will be good then it will be bad constantly. I am the only person connected and my internet connection is secured.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have any programs that periodically run to perform backups, or occasional downloads or uploads on your system? Any backup program, or software such as Peer-to-peer software such as uTorrent, or even gaming software such as Steam or Origin could cause moments of higher latency.

0 Likes
PerfectKiwi

No, not anything like that.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK

I should also ask too. When the jitter increases along with the ping, are you also seeing a slow-down in service on either the download, upload, or in both directions? The next time it happens, would you be able to supply a Traceroute to us to help us see where this problem may be?

0 Likes
PerfectKiwi

When the jitter happens my internet disconnects for a very short period of time, Then the internet is back to normal. I know it slows my download, but I don't know about the upload. I will try to put the traceroute when the chance comes.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks. When there is a disconnection, see if you can check your modem to see if the modem no longer has an IP address. This problem could be from several issues with the way it is sounding. I'm not sure if this is a noise or signal issue or if this is something wrong with the equipment on Verizon's end, or something going on with the modem/NIC.

0 Likes