Keep losing connection. Have to reset modem several times a day.
BlueCajun

For the past 4 or 5 days, my DSL connection has been going up and down several times a day.  Sometimes it reconnects right away on its own.  But most of the time, I have to physically reset my DSL modem (Westell 7500).  I've been hoping it would just get resolved as calling tech support will take an hour and require doing the same things I've already done (power modem up and down, reset modem settings, etc.).  I've deal with tech support too many times in the past.  And honestly, the thought of doing so again almost makes me want to change providers.

Nothing has changed regarding my computer, modem, router, house, or phone line.  Really frustrating.  Does anyone have suggestions?  Has anyone else in the League City, TX area experienced similar problems?  For what it's worth, these are my transceiver statistics from my modem:

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)123811063
Margin (dB)6.69.9
Line Attenuation (dB)34.513.4
Transmit Power (dBm)22.712.0
0 Likes
Re: Keep losing connection. Have to reset modem several times a day.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like you're dropping due to noise. I know you've mentioned nothing has changed, but do you recall the speed increasing, even slightly, prior to this problem beginning?

Secondly, does your modem show "Fast" or "Interleaved" for the Line mode? 

Third, if you have a landline associated with your DSL service, do you also get static or other noise during a quiet call on the line at random?

0 Likes
BlueCajun

Thank you for the reply.  To answer your questions:

-  I changed from a 1-3 Mbps plan to a 7-15 Mbps plan about 4 months ago.  Everything worked fine with the higher speed plan until a few days ago.  I don't know if my speed increased just prior to this problem happening.  In retrospect, I would have payed more attention to the speed I was getting.  But I didn't think to check until this problem started happening.

-  Under my "Transceiver Statistics" page, I see "FAST" under "Data Path" and "ADSL_2plus" under "Line Mode."

-  I do not have a landline.

Thank you again for the help!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome.

Before we consider having Verizon take a look at the connection, we'll want to make sure the problem isn't due to the wiring in your home. While it's unlikely that there is a major problem with the wiring, it's always good to check. To do this, we'll want to start off by connecting your modem up to the NID. See this FAQ for what this is: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317 . Most modern NIDs, when using the test jack will disconnect your home's wiring for testing. Older NIDs may require you to disconnect your home's wiring first, and then wire up a test jack temporarily.

What this proves is whether or not the problem is internal to your home or external. If you are able to do this and can post up some Statistics from your NID, that would be great. Otherwise, please consider calling Verizon.

One final thing to note, if you don't already have what is known as a Homerun installed, you should consider getting one, since it can help with higher speeds. What a Homerun does is it keeps the DSL signal off of your home's wiring, instead running it through a single dedicated pair of wiring that goes to your modem. If you had a Landline, this would also allow you to remove the microfilters from all devices. The reason behind also getting a Homerun in this case is where you have a lot of old wiring, or have a lot of microfiters installed. This can give the line the effect of being longer, since the microfilters add some resistance, and older lines can do both this and give additional noise.

0 Likes
TAB2014

Another Verizon Customer in League City with Connection Issues

Changed out routers and received the latest Verizon router to support my home network.  Every 36-48 hours the router requires reset to gain internet connections.  Connection address continues to drop.  I have to go to canyouseeme.org each time to get the latest internet connection address to apply to my video app connection for home security system.  Resetting the router re-establishes the internet connections for other internet devices in home (X-Box Gaming, Lattops, Ipads, etc.)  I've reset the Frequency to 11 and to others without any change.  I too am frustated with this Verizon system.  Hate the technical support in India or where ever that takes hours to come to the same solution - NONE!  If anyone out there can comment on this issue in the League City, TX area, please do.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hey Tab,

Would you be able to make your own thread regarding this issue in the forums? If you can start off your post in a similar way with your Transceiver Statistics, that will help us help you, without confusion.

0 Likes
BlueCajun

Sorry for taking so long to follow up.  It wasn't until yesterday that I had a chance to plug the router directly into the NID.  Here's what I found.

Direct connection at the NID:

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)107771077
Margin (dB)22.69.8
Line Attenuation (dB)26.511.5
Transmit Power (dBm)20.412.4

Home phone jack:

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)107771049
Margin (dB)12.69.9
Line Attenuation (dB)34.513.5
Transmit Power (dBm)22.612.4

Big difference.  So there defintely is something going on in my home wiring.

But I also noticed something else during this experiment.  My margin, whether I was conneted directly to the NID or the home phone jack in question, slowly dropped over time.  I would say it dropped at a rate of 0.1-0.2 dB per minute.  Eventually it would drop to a low enough level that the connection is lost.

Is that normal?  If not, what could be causing that?  Clearly noise is being introduced by the house wiring.  But now I'm wondering if the real problem is the slow drop in margin.  And the fact that, for whatever reason, the margin at my home phone jack is now low enough that it just doesn't have to drop as much anymore to lose the connection.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is normal for the margin to fall slightly after the modem synchronized. It should not fall to the point of disconnecting or drop by several points, though 

Since there is a big difference in noise margin and attenuation, we will want to start off by fixing the problem inside. The best way to do this is to go about installing a home run. This will filter out every jack in your home for DSL service, which will save on noise an attenuation, and will also isolate the DSL down to a single jack in your home. To install this, there are two options.

The first is if you have a newer style NID. Verizon can install a replacement access module in the NID which will contain both a DSL and a Phone output. 

The second is if you have an older style NID. A weatherproof whole-home filter box can be installed which will contain the same outputs as mentioned above. If the NID is indoors, there are some "dirty" ways that a homerun can be installed using your existing microfilters and a common phone jack.

For the home run install to work correctly, all of your home's wiring must be wired to the Phone portion of the Home run splitter. For the DSL, either run a fresh CAT3 wire to the location of the modem, or locate and use only the secondary wire pair for the jack the modem is at. If you opt to use  the secondary wire pair, take care to ensure that the DSL portion does not go to any other jack in your home. You will also need to rewire behind the jack since the modem will only accept a DSL signal on the primary pair.

You can opt to install this yourself, or you can ask Verizon to install one for you, often free of charge as a part of DSL troubleshooting. In the past, Verizon used to automatically install a home run for all customers who ordered a DSL speed faster than 3Mbps.

The good news is, if we can get the line to remain stable and with solid stats, you might be able to score a free upgrade to 15Mbps.

0 Likes