Laserjet 5si connectivity to D-link 2750B router
zumkatze

Issue:  I had a Netgear R6300 router go up on me so I had to switch everything to my Verizon D-Link 2750B router.  I have everything working except my old HP Laserjet 5SI with JetDirect.  It worked fine under the Netgear but I can't communicate with it noow with my D-Link.  My D-Link router IP is set at 192.168.2.1 (for VPN issues)  I changed the IP on the JetDirect from 192.168.3.240 (within my old Netgear IP range) to 192.168.2.240 to match the D-Link's IP range (set at max of 250).  I used this IP for both the LG and GW on the JetDirect.  I changed the port address for the printer in my Win 7 Pro to match the 192.168.2.240 IP.

With these small changes, I'm unable to print to the LaserJet 5SI.  My LAN switch shows a green light at the connection so it looks ok there.  But under Printers and Devices, it says my printer is offline.  The troubleshooting wizard doesn't solve the problem.  It just tells me to contact my network admin... which is me.  🙂

Does anyone have an answer as to what I may need to do in the D-Link 2750B router so it'll see my printer?  This thing isn't all that user friendly.  🙂

0 Likes
Re: Laserjet 5si connectivity to D-link 2750B router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Open up the Printer Properties in Devices & Printers and look for a tab labeled "Ports." Since your printer's IP address changed, I am placing good bets that the TCP/IP port the printer is being looked for at is not correct.

If you find the wrong IP being used for the port the printer uses, click "Add Port" and then follow the wizard to configure a new TCP/IP Port to use. Windows should auto detect that the printer is a JetDirect device, but in the event that it does not, you should be able to define that.

Let me know if you need something more detailed than that.

0 Likes
zumkatze

Thanks for the reply, but if i've done that once, I've done it a dozen times.  I've deleted the printer, added a new one... configured a new TCP/IP port with the new IP address and still no-go.  I'm just wondering if I have to establish a brand new network configuration for the whole shebang?  I'm using my old one... just reconfiguring a new IP address for the printer.  Would the old IP address somehow be imbedded into the current network connection that I can't get at?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

My apologies if I missed that. Just re-read your initial post and saw mention of that. D'oh.

The only thing that initially comes to mind is a firewall configuration on the computer. Many firewalls treat a new IP range as a new network. The D-link should not care about what happens on the LAN to another LAN device. Perhaps if IGMP Snooping were on, or something related, the D-link could be misidentifying the printer traffic and breaking it.

To prove whether or not the printer still has stray network information in it, try pinging it. Responses are good and what you want to see. Additonally, if you can ping the printer, HP's Web JetAdmin tool should be able to help figure out the rest.

0 Likes
zumkatze

I tried to ping my printer @ 192.168.2.240.  Interesting return:  It came back as 192.168.2.6 destination host unreachable.  Would you have any idea where this IP address came from?  I didn't even know I had that IP address on my network.  Things just turned a little more strange for me. 

0 Likes
zumkatze

OK... never mind on the previous entry.  The IP address is the laptop I was pinging from.  But, I do have a strange thing going on with the 5SI printer.  Instead of saying "offline" like it has been, it's now saying "printer ready".  But, it still will not print.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

At this point I'd say double check the printer network settings as it sounds like something is off. The three things you need is an IP, netmask (Subnet Mask, usually 255.255.255.0 or a /24 block) and the default gateway (192.168.2.1 in this case). Worst case factory reset the printer or the JetDirect interface, as it should respond to ping. Your machine returning an Unreachable message means that nothing on your network (in this case, the printer) answered an ARP request.

Also make sure your printer is set to Auto for the Ethernet Link, rather than something like 10Mbps Half Duplex. You could be seeing a Duplex Mismatch or something of that nature.

0 Likes