Latency Issues when Playing Games
Fixitpeace

Oh wow and I thought i was the only one with these issues so came here to check guess i was wrong. I completely agree with the latency my phone just dosent seem to pick any sort of internet while i am playing games but it does just fine when i am streaming or video chatting. This seems like a bad mess. Its sad we don’t have any other GIG internet providers in my area other than optimum which is even worst. I don’t know if changing the router from verizon to my own custom specific router will fix the issue to a degree ? Again please verizon fix these gaming connectivity issues i have been having from since day 1. You will not believe if i say i use Cell internet for gaming. Apparently my 5G performs much better than fiber smh. But even 5G has latency issues. I wish I could play games without these issues one day

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Latency Issues when Playing Games
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

How much latency are you seeing?

Fios should be less than 4ms ping, and 5G should be less than 7ms ping. Make sure you use Ethernet connection instead WiFi connection. A WiFi access point/repeater/mesh extender adds 3ms ping per node. If you have 3 mesh nodes, that would be + 3 * 3 = +9ms. Also, MoCA adapters also add 3ms ping. 

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fios should be less than 4ms ping, and 5G should be less than 7ms ping. Make sure you use Ethernet connection instead WiFi connection. A WiFi access point/repeater/mesh extender adds 3ms ping per node. If you have 3 mesh nodes, that would be + 3 * 3 = +9ms. Also, MoCA adapters also add 3ms ping. 

Kimye

@Fixitpeace wrote:

Oh wow and I thought i was the only one with these issues so came here to check guess i was wrong. I completely agree with the latency my phone just dosent seem to pick any sort of internet while i am playing games but it does just fine when i am streaming or video chatting. This seems like a bad mess. Its sad we don’t have any other GIG internet providers in my area other than optimum which is even worst. I don’t know if changing the router from verizon to my own custom specific router will fix the issue to a degree ? Again please verizon fix these gaming connectivity issues i have been having from since day 1. You will not believe if i say i use Cell internet for gaming. Apparently my 5G performs much better than fiber smh. But even 5G has latency issues. I wish I could play games without these issues one day

Whats the solution?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Again, Verizon Fios network has a typical latency of 2-3 milliseconds. Your home network equipment may add to this latency, especially if you use WiFi and MoCA.

0 Likes