Latest Fios Quantum router shows wifi connected but its not?
xxnonamexx

My Verizon Quantum router which is the latest Verizon offers shows the wifi on. I also rebooted the router and it returns showing the wifi icon lit on the router. However at times I notice this icon lit but my phone will lose the wifi connection and at times my laptop. This is very annoying as I need to work at home at times and this random disconnect interferes. What can I do to test, check as I did the basics already. Issue started past week have made no changes.Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Latest Fios Quantum router shows wifi connected but its not?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What software version do you have on router?

If you have an android device, install an app called wifi analyzer.

When you are having issues, use app to see if router is sending ssid.

Also use app to see if there is some sort of interference that may cause an issue.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@xxnonamexx wrote:

My Verizon Quantum router which is the latest Verizon offers shows the wifi on. I also rebooted the router and it returns showing the wifi icon lit on the router. However at times I notice this icon lit but my phone will lose the wifi connection and at times my laptop. This is very annoying as I need to work at home at times and this random disconnect interferes. What can I do to test, check as I did the basics already. Issue started past week have made no changes.Thanks

You may need to do a reset of the router since that router has a firmware update that stops that 5 Ghz band from dropping. Others have stated the total WiFi has also dropped and the new firmware has fixed it.

you could try just unplugging the router and see if that forces the router to update.

posters on dsl reports have said this works. Others have said they pushed in the reset button on the back and just let it boot up and it was then changed. So it’s up to you.

0 Likes
emotpix1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since we had the Quantum router, we've had terrible wifi performance, and 3 different Quantums.  Yesterday we installed Eero as the new router, completely eliminating the FIOS quantum, and our wifi is now incredible!  We get full signal almost 500 ft away from the box in the backyard.  The problem is with the quantum, it is an inferior product.  And now, despite telling tech support that we have solved all of our issues, they now tell me they won't support the new router--can't even run their speed test.  We have TV as well, but don't use the Verizon boxes (also antiquated).  We use TIVo with cablecard.  It all works great, except, we are still not getting anywhere near the gigabit speeds promised even with the wired connections.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You have done the right choice in using your own router.

the problem is without having the Verizon router they cannot support or will not support the varied number of routers on the market. No one could.

the speedtest from Verizon is a direct ethernet connected device to their router and then to their server. No real world test as with speedtest net.

you could place the Verizon router as primary, turn off the WiFi bands (2.4, 5 & guest networks) then it would be like this. Verizon router receives gigabyte from ont, then you take ethernet connection from quantum LAN to your routers WAN port, login to your router and place it in access point mode. Now your router will handle the ip assignments as well as the superior WiFi from that router.

The Quantum may be junk WiFi wise but it does have the ability to handle gigabyte connections. This way the Verizon router is primary only for the internet and can also be used for your tv. You get the added benefit of having extra lan ports to use on your owned router and the Verizon Quantum.

0 Likes