Linux - can only connect to Guest network after dual booting?
Mathieson

I have a desktop with both Windows and PopOS! (linux) on it, connecting to a GS3100 router.

Both operating systems have connected to the main network at some point - and both can ALWAYS connect to the guest network.  Windows never has a problem connecting to the main network.  

However after booting into Windows, then back into Linux, I've been unable to connect to the main network.  It shows as available, but errors out on connection.  Restarting the router seems to help, but not all the time.

I've also seen the same problem with a ChromeOS laptop.

Anyone had a similar problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Linux - can only connect to Guest network after dual booting?
Alex1759
Enthusiast - Level 3

his problem appears to be some kind of low level setup that Windows can not restart properly on the network card. With the J338-V network chip, I had the same problem. The way I have is that I reset the chip at Ubuntu start-up. But it's working even though Windows is closed. You must figure out which PCI device your card is and reset it.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What data link protocol are you using, 802.3 ethernet or 802.11 wireless?

Since you mentioned Guest Network, I need to make an assumption that you are using the WiFi.

Guest Network is always on 2.4GHz frequency and using 802.11n. Since G3100's 5Ghz offers both 802.11ac and 802.11ax, I am wondering you should update the wireless drivers on your devices or change the 5Ghz on G3100 to legacy 802.11ac mode. Some wireless NICs and drivers have compatibility issues. They seem to have trouble differentiating between 802.11ac and 802.11ax. When both protocols are available, they probably have difficulty choosing the right one.

Alex1759
Enthusiast - Level 3

his problem appears to be some kind of low level setup that Windows can not restart properly on the network card. With the J338-V network chip, I had the same problem. The way I have is that I reset the chip at Ubuntu start-up. But it's working even though Windows is closed. You must figure out which PCI device your card is and reset it.