Looking for help with security appliances
alex8828
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi folks,

I run a small busy from my house that I’m starting to collect more and more customer customer information social security number payment information. So I’m looking to get some security for my office and other connected devices. I am in talks to buy WatchGuard  M270 UTM.  This is my current setup I have G1100 router with coaxial and Ethernet going to WAN port then I use a lan port from the G1100 to my Netgear 16 port switch which handles my lan devices including my Orbi router set up as AP for my WiFi. For Fios I have TV/Internet/phone. So the techs at WatchGuard say the firewall can sit behind the Fios router and not interfere with my TV services and advanced features. So when I call Verizon techs said the firewall can’t sit in behind the Fios router because it will mess up TV service. I tend to believe Verizon since it’s there own product. Has anyone have any experience with firewalls and Fios?  I was thinking to sit the firewall in front of Fios router and plug Ethernet cable from Fios router to port on firewall and another Ethernet cable from the firewall to my switch which also connects my Orbi router and the rest of my lan devices and WiFi devices. Not sure if firewall would need static ip. Really not sure if this will give me the protection I’m looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

alex

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Looking for help with security appliances
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Verizon tech support was incorrect. You want the G1100 as the primary and all your house devices connected to your 16 port switch off the G1100. Then connect your firewall to the G1100 LAN port and all your business devices should then connect to the firewall. If the Watchguard is primary it might block traffic for your TV services. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Verizon tech support was incorrect. You want the G1100 as the primary and all your house devices connected to your 16 port switch off the G1100. Then connect your firewall to the G1100 LAN port and all your business devices should then connect to the firewall. If the Watchguard is primary it might block traffic for your TV services. 

alex8828
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the reply. Would I be able in incorporate the firebox into my switch to protect those devices as well?

thanks ,

alex

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@alex8828 wrote:

Thank you for the reply. Would I be able in incorporate the firebox into my switch to protect those devices as well?

thanks ,

alex

Yes. Either the switch or the router's LAN port will be fine.