Loose wifi when adding a networking device to my Fios Actiontec router
alexa7t7

Ok so here's the story:

I switched to FIOS from another company recently. So far so good. I have a main hard wired desktop and 2 laptops w/wifi. All runon Window Vista
Starting about 2 weeks, ago, I coudn't connect wiressly anymore. I tried everything (re-booting, re-installing, etc etc, you name it). All I would get was "Local Access Only" (on all 3 computers) when trying to go wireless.

I spent a good while with a VZ tech on chat and in the end, he decided it was best to send me a new router.

The new router arrived today. And go figure, that was not the issue. I connect everything as instructed and still would have no wi-fi.

So..after much thought, I decided to unplug my Aruba Networks device from the router. It's one of those devices used to download data from a hand held computer like the one's UPS drivers use: http://www.arubanetworks.com/

AND! now it works like a char, wi-fi back on, on all 3 computers, fast, no problem.

I a assuming that there's some sort of networking/IP/whatever conflict between the Aruba controller and the router. Problem is, my boyfriend really needs it connected and I really need my wi-fi. So...any idea how I would go about adding this device to the router without causing any conflicts to my network?

THANKS!

Alex

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Loose wifi when adding a networking device to my Fios Actiontec router
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Has your boyfriend rerun the provisioning process since you switched to FIOS?

There is a quickstart guide here:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/unified-wired-wireless-access/23814/1/RAP...

That quickstart doesn't give any information on how the RAP-2WG interfaces with a local LAN.

You're probably going to have to get you boyfriend's IT department involved.

My guess is that the Aruba device is trying to "own" the 192.168.1.x subnet, which is what the FIOS router uses.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Need more information. 

• What specific Aruba device? 
  • Does the Aruba device have a static IP address? 
  • If so, what?
  • Does the Aruba device act as a router or VPN endpoint?
  • If so, what is the LAN side subnet of the Aruba device?
0 Likes
alexa7t7

Thanks for the answer.

First, I am not very technical at all ...

- the device is an Aruba RAP-2WG (this one: http://www.securewirelessworks.com/Aruba-RAP-2WG.asp?gclid=COyyn8bnybwCFURsfgodRAkADg)

When connected I don't even see it in my network devices. Even if I did, I don't have a user/pass to login.

This was given to my boyfriend from his job and he uses it every morning to sync his routes.

We've been using it for over a year with no problems when we used to have TWC internet.

The conflict is now tih the VZ router.

please let me know if he should gather more info from his job reg. this device

I don't know if this helps, info on the back of the Aruba says:

MAC ID: {edited for privacy}

S/N: {edited for privacy}

Thanks!

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Has your boyfriend rerun the provisioning process since you switched to FIOS?

There is a quickstart guide here:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/unified-wired-wireless-access/23814/1/RAP...

That quickstart doesn't give any information on how the RAP-2WG interfaces with a local LAN.

You're probably going to have to get you boyfriend's IT department involved.

My guess is that the Aruba device is trying to "own" the 192.168.1.x subnet, which is what the FIOS router uses.

alexa7t7

Well, he is even less techie than me hahaha

I tried running it and it caused even more problems, so reset everything and what we are doing now is have him connect the Aruba every morning at 5AM to sync his hand held computer and then disconnect it. It works fine that way, not ideal but a good temp solution, being that his Company's IT dept does not care (all they say is "reboot the system") and he might not stay at that job for that much longer.

Without their IT depts help I don;t see how I can fix this anyways 😞

But thanks a lot for your help!!

Alex

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Considering the Aruba device is a Wireless Access Point, you will definitely want to make sure the Aruba device is placed away from the ActionTec, AND it has different settings from the network your Wi-Fi devices would otherwise operate on. If the devices are too close and are trying to operate on the same channels, especially if auto channel selection is enabled for both devices they will continuously jump around the spectrum and will cause problems like what you're seeing.

If the Aruba Device is configured to create a tunnel back to a corporate network, the AP should be kept using consistent settings, and only devices that need to be on the corporate network should be connected to it. The wireless settings should never match those of your home's own Wireless network. Have the IT Department that the device belongs to configure this based on your environment.

Also, set your FiOS router to use a static channel. Using the automatic channel setting is always asking for problems.

Considering it's not every day I hear of people using Enterprise-grade APs in their home, what's the specific need for the Aruba device? I can help fix this with some more info.

0 Likes